Beatrice
Montreal

British Columbia, Banff, New Zealand

British Columbia (Canada) VS New Zealand ?

I'm taking a one year break next fall (or summer) and I hesitate between the west of Canada or New Zealand. I would like to work somewhere for a couple of months then fully travel and enjoy. British Columbia (and Banff, Alberta) and New Zealand are the 2 destinations that I really want to visit, but I feel that it is not very realistic to do both places in one trip. Does anyone has seen both and have a opinion on what place would be better for a 22 year old girl, alone, with not a lot of money, looking for fun, beautiful landscapes, and a job for a couple of months? 

Roger from San Marcos (Texas)

The answer would be both .But The flight to NZ & Aus burns a a 12- 24 hours of flight/airport changing time. I went to both ,but w NZ I spent  20 days, so I had time to get with time zone there. Rafting & speedboat where part of my trip. I had a good experience using the hostels there. People I met used  Kiwi experience ( coach travel w budget hostel stays).  Adventure travel has a lot of options  in NZ ; Zorbing ,bungee , whitewater rafts ( if you are looking for that).

Rebecca from Manchester

Hi Beatrice, there are loads of backpacker jobs in New Zealand. I worked on a dairy farm there and it was easy money. Plus, the country is very safe and I travelled with backpackers I had just met and I hitchhiked a lot. 

1. New Zealand (attraction)

Marie-France from Toronto

Hi Beatrice!

I don't understand why you have to choose... You have an entire year! Like Lisa said, you can't legally work in NZ unless you have a work visa. Also, the seasons are reversed in Canada and NZ as you probably know. So why don't you spend a few months working in BC and exploring the province during summer and early fall, then fly to NZ in November (late spring for them) starting in the north (warmer) and moving south.

There is much to see in NZ but it's not a huge country. You can leisurely travel around both islands in a few months. I think renewing a 3-month tourist visa for another 3 months is fairly easy if you're Canadian (perhaps with proof of funds).

Here's a post I wrote after two trips to NZ, which you may like: http://bigtravelnut.com/16-places-you-should-visit-in-new-zealand/

Lisa from Wellington

Hi, New Zealand is beautiful year round, but in Summertime (December to February) it is the warmest. There are generally jobs you can pick up such as Fruit Picking, however if you're visiting on a Tourist Visa you cannot work at all.