Aj

Brisbane, Sydney

Brisbane to Sydney by road in 1st week of December 2017

Hi, my wife, my daughter (23 years) and I are planning a a drive from Brisbane to Sydney and back spanning over 7 to 8 days with plans to spend 3 days at Sydney. We will leave Brisbane on 3rd and want to be back on 11th. 2 days we are spending at Gold Coast. Can you please suggest a few places on the way where we can stay 1 night each? Thanks...

Michelle from Melbourne

Most of the really good spots, in my humble opinion are closer to Brisbane than Sydney. I'd recommend you definitely check out Byron Bay - that's a small detour from the main road down but very much worth it.

About half way between the two cities is Port Macquarie which is also worth a stay.

You could also look at Seal Rocks and, if you're interested in food and wine, the Hunter Valley Resort. Newcastle (Australia) is nearby and there are plenty of accommodation options there.

1. Byron Bay (city)
  2. Port Macquarie (city)
  3. Seal Rocks (city)
  4. Hunter Valley Resort (hotel)
  5. Newcastle (Australia) (city)

Jacqui from London

Hi Aj,  

Believe it or not, we are about to embark on a very similar trip with our 3 month old. I used to do the road trip almost every year with my parents.  

One year we drove the New England Highway instead of the coast road and that was cool. We went to @Tamworth, @Dubbo, @Parkes and a few other places.  

Along the coast road there are some great places to explore. @Yamba and @Woody Point, (Yamba surf motel is good),,and @Port Macquarie (El Paso Motor Inn) and @The Entrance (Coachman motoe inn). @Nambacca Heads and @@Taree are also nice.