Adam
Southampton

Brisbane

Looking for the cheapest place to stay in or 2 hours south of Brisbane

Just to see what everyone has to say about hostels around this area :)

I stayed in coolangatta (sp?) for a family holiday and loved it. I'm applying for a visa and will be going out as soon as I can afford to. I will hopefully be working out there and I was wondering who has experience with something similar in this area? Where did you stay and how much was it, plus food and other costs if you can :D

Budget is as cheap as possible, i'll just save until I reach what is needed. Trip will be about a year :)

Christopher from Melbourne

Thankfully Brisbane has cheap accommodation (well, in comparison to the rest of the country). Backpacker places exist with prices starting from $15 although depending on the time of year, you can get rooms as low as $10. 

Places like Bowen Terrace Accommodation Brisbane, Aussieway Backpackers and Bunk Backpackers are good, but with all backpacking places, it strongly depends on the company you keep. Being stuck in a dorm full of snorers could turn the best dorm on the planet to hell on earth. 

Unlike a lot of capital cities in Australia, airbnb offers up a lot of cheap places in reasonable locations throughout Brisbane. I always suggest people new to cities to always try airbnb first - local knowledge almost always trumps the knowledge of hotel staff who will always try to upsell you on services that benefit them.

The good thing about Brizzy is that its small, so you'll be close to major shopping centres to keep costs down. Buy groceries like a local and you'll be fine. Most common-sense stuff will help you keep costs down - stay near public transport, walk a lot, hit all the free things to do first before entertaining the idea of spending money, don't cram in too many activities into a week, learn to enjoy rest periods etc.

1. Bowen Terrace Accommodation Brisbane (hotel)
  2. Aussieway Backpackers (hotel)
  3. Bunk Backpackers (hotel)