Katie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Bremen for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Bremen and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Bremen is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Bremen

Danilo

Hi Katie,

we've just moved to Bremen and I've worked here for the last few months. I truly enjoyed staying at the Hotel ibis Styles Bremen Altstadt. the rooms are nothing to rave about, but staff is very friendly and the location is superb for exploring the city.

if the budget permits have a look at this fancy design hotel. Überfluss

Another option would be to look for places (airbnb) in Das Viertel (The Quarter), which is a very lively and young area.

Hope you have a great time,

Don

1. Bremen (city)
  2. Hotel ibis Styles Bremen Altstadt (hotel)
  3. Überfluss (hotel)
  4. Das Viertel (attraction)
Alexandra

Hmmm....usually visitors stay with us, so I cannot really say which hotel ist good. Maybe you use an AirBnB location close to the center, where the Rathaus and the Dom are?

Concerning cool neighborhoods: Bremen's "Marktplatz with the "Roland" and the "Böttcherstraße" is a must. Then there are the tiny cobblestone streets in the "Schnoor". The alternative scene with its cafes, restaurants and shops can be found in the "Viertel" around the street "Vor dem Steintor" "Sielwall" and "Ostertorsteinweg". Along the river Weser you can find the "Schlachte" which is a sort of Biergarten after Biergarten thing. Nice in sunny afternoons for people watching.

Peter from Vienna

What wasnt mentioned in this thread is Bremerhaven. It is not a neighborhood in Bremen, but a small town right next to it. Its directly located at the Nordsee and therefore the scenery is absolutely stunning. Bremerhaven is cheaper too, regarding accomodation. And it has the Natusch which is a michelin-starred Restaurant.