Bianca

Brazil, Rio de Janeiro, Florianopolis

Best and safest spot in Brazil for surf & yoga trip?

Looking to plan a last minute trip to Brazil for surf & yoga to coincide with business in Rio. Any tips on where to go after the business trip for some surf and yoga? I have heard that Florianópolis is a good place? 

Viv from Brazil

Florianopolis in the south is definitely a good place for surf and yoga. It is an island in the south of the country (400 thousand people live there). It is gorgeous, famous for surf, and it's known for its lifestyle and safety. There is a lot of nightlife too, even though it still preserves the authenticity of some traditions, fisherman villages, etc. I would recommend staying at Campeche or other places in the south of the island. But it all depends when you coming...the winter (from May to August) is quite cold there, and way less buzzing. If you coming within those months better go somewhere in the Northeast of the country such as Salvador

Ps: if you are going to stay around Rio de Janeiro I would recommend to check out Paraty - its one of my favo places in Brazil, full of nature, culture and arts. Very charming. 

1. Salvador (city)
  2. Rio de Janeiro (city)
  3. Paraty (city)
  4. Campeche (neighborhood)
  5. Florianopolis (city)

Vicky from Los Angeles

Florianópolis and the beach cities of Santa Catarina are perfect for surfing and yoga! I spent a month of yoga teacher training at Enchanted Mountain Yoga Center in Garopaba, about 90 km from Florianópolis. It's as the name suggests - enchanting, surrounded by magical nature. Check out their website for programs and retreats. The beaches of Santa Catarina are awesome - the area has lots of surfer yogis! Ferrugem Beach in Garopaba is quite beautiful. Even better is Praia do Rosa (Rose Beach), a few km south of Garopaba. I've been to a few beaches along the Coconut Coast in the Northeast part of Brazil in Bahia, which are amazing, and Praia do Rosa is as gorgeous. In Florianópolis, check out Yoga Shala

1. Garopaba (city)

Mauricio from Brazil

HI Bianca,

Florianópolis is good, but nothing compares to Rio de Janeiro, and If you will already be there, i propose to you stay. There are many beautiful beaches around to enjoy a good surf session like Grumari and Prainha de Piratininga or even at Ipanema posto 9 or Leblon ! So difficult to choose :)

I don't know what kind of yoga do you practice but i encourage you to give a look at Self Realization Fellowship. They have a meditation  center in Rio.

Enjoy !

1. Rio de Janeiro (city)
  2. Grumari (attraction)
  3. Prainha de Piratininga (attraction)
  4. Ipanema posto 9 (attraction)
  5. Leblon (neighborhood)
  6. Self Realization Fellowship (attraction)

MaryRe from Rio de Janeiro

Florianopolis is about 1.200km from Rio, quite a trip!

there are lots of surfing spots in Rio, such as Arpoador . Depends on the swell, there are very good waves, wich comes with a busy crowd.

you can rent a board at Galeria River, just a few steps from there.

you can surf also at Prainha BeachGrumariMacumbaPraia da Reserva, Praia da Barra,  but you will need a car for that.

sorry, I know there are several places to yoga practice, but i am not in to it to give you informations 

1. Arpoador (attraction)
  2. Galeria River (attraction)
  3. Prainha Beach (attraction)
  4. Grumari (attraction)
  5. Macumba (attraction)
  6. Praia da Reserva (attraction)
  7. Praia da Barra (attraction)

Florianopolis is nice but it's also quite far from Rio de Janeiro.

Buzios is only 3-4 hours drive north of Rio and is a really cool spot too with a good vibe and a good surf and I think this would be more suitable for you if you are coming from Rio.

1. Florianopolis (city)
  2. Rio de Janeiro (city)
  3. Buzios (city)

Amanda from Canmore

Hey Bianca,

Florianopolisis a super cool place to do yoga, surf and chill out in Brazil. Another place that I loved was Itacaré. It's located in Bahia, close to Salvador, further north than Florianopolis. While I was there, I practiced yoga few times, and although I never did any surfing, I met a ton of people who were doing surf and yoga retreats, or simply learning to surf. I would definitely check it out. It's smaller and less touristy than Florianopolis, and the perfect little coastal heaven. 

Cheers,

Amanda

1. Florianopolis (city)
  2. Itacaré (metro area)

Priscila from Rio de Janeiro

Yoga Surf School from Rio, offers the amazing retreat YOGA SURF TRIP. See what is next at:  http://yogasurfschool.com/proximo-evento/

The organizer is a master teacher who is totally engaged personally on yoga and surf classes.

I have taken part twice and I can assure he is very concerned about safety and reliability. I totally recommend.

Namaste! :)