Casey
Mount Pleasant, Michigan

Boulder

Early March Weather in Boulder?

Me and some of my friends got the idea to make the trek from mid-Michigan to Boulder for Spring Break, and would plan on staying for the second week of March. 

I've done a lot of research on the average temperature/precipitation for March in Boulder, but would like some outside opinions on if this would be a risky time to visit with the chance of freak snowstorms being particularly high.  We've dealt plenty with snow and freezing temperatures up in Michigan, but would not want to get in over our heads with it being a 2-day drive.  We would love to be able to use many of the trails in the surrounding areas.  Feedback would be appreciated!

Lyndsay

Completely agree with the response above. 

Weather in March is definitely unpredictable. For example, the high in Denver today is 60 degrees, but they're calling for snow next week. 

I would probably pack a lot of layers (long sleeve/t-shirts, sweaters and jeans) 

You shouldn't have problems getting around in town- even if there is a snow storm, the city is really good with plowing the roads. 

You could always ask the locals once you get here what the trails are looking like. The Flatirons is a fun hike, or rent some snow shoes and head to Brainard Lake. If you guys are skiers, Eldorado mountain isn't far from Boulder. personally the Celestial Seasonings tour is (free!) and amazing! 

Also- if you're looking for an amazing happy hour (half priced food and drinks) go to The Med. trust me, just go! :) 

Have fun and safe travels!

Kelly from Boulder

The weather in Boulder in March is completely unpredictable. It could be in the 70s, or we could get two feet of snow. Unlike Michigan, you should at least get some sun even if it's cold :)  Once you're here, I'm sure you could find fun things to do: hiking or snowshoeing depending on the weather. I would be more worried about crazy snowdrifts in the flat, windy states between here and Michigan - sometimes they can lead to highway closures. 

Trent from Boulder

March and April are some of the most precipitous months of the year.  The weather can be schizophrenic.

Heidi from Colorado

March is the snowiest month in Colorado, that being said, we've had lots of St. Patrick Day parades in Denver on 60 and 70 degree days.

If you are coming for good weather, than it might be risky. If you are coming for fun, well, that's guaranteed. You'll have a great time!