Julie
Tahoe City, California

Boston

Boston fun! What to do for single 30-somethings?

My sister and her friend are single 30-somethings and are planning a trip to Boston in March for about 4 nights.  They are probably middle of the road spenders.  They need help, what to see, where to stay, where to go out at night.  They want somewhere safe but fun with lots of nightlife.  Thanks for the help!

Melissa from Boston

I'd say go out in the North End and then have them go to an Improv Asylum show one night. 

1. North End (neighborhood)
  2. Improv Asylum (attraction)

Nicole from Los Angeles

Are they art museum people? If so, the Museum of Fine Arts is a must-see. It has a very large collection and a museum not big enough to hold it all, the result being that it's one of the best-curated art museums I've ever set foot in.

The "Ladder District" has become a center for nightlife in Boston. (Hilarious for anyone who grew up there because it was once known as the "Combat Zone." Aaaaaah, gentrification...)

It's been a couple of years since I lived there and the nightclub scene changes fast. All my old standbys have been bulldozed into the ground in order to build condominiums. This is a good beginning resource for places to go:

http://www.improper.com/bostons-best/bars-clubs/

In general, Boston is a very safe city, one of the safest in the US.

If they like thriftshopping, they should go to The Garment District in Cambridge, one of the best resale fashion places I've ever been to. It is adjacent to the semi-famous "Buck a Pound," which - yep - sells clothes for a dollar a pound.

The North End of Boston has great Italian food and lots of old buildings; it's quite picturesque.

For higher-end boutique shopping, Newbury St in the Back Bay is where to go.

Harvard University is the quintessential picturesque East Coast college. It's fun to soak in the vibe, and there are also several great museums on campus.

To see how the locals live, take the Red Line out to Davis Square. It's Boston at its nerd-bohemian best. Diesel Cafe is always a great place to hang out and people-watch, and since it's near Tufts University there's plenty of cheap eats.

1. Museum of Fine Arts (attraction)
  2. The Garment District (attraction)
  3. North End (neighborhood)
  4. Newbury St (attraction)
  5. Harvard University (attraction)
  6. Davis Square (attraction)
  7. Diesel Cafe (restaurant)
  8. Tufts University (attraction)

Marci from Boston

The Liberty Hotel could be fun as you can walk to Beacon Hill and there a few bars there. VRBO is a good way to find affordable housing. Cambridge (Massachusetts) has a a lot going on too. Eat at THE BEEHIVE in the South End. 

1. The Liberty Hotel (hotel)
  2. Beacon Hill (attraction)
  3. Cambridge (Massachusetts) (city)
  4. THE BEEHIVE (restaurant)

Alex from Boston

There has been a rapid growth in the last three years of things to do in the Fort Point area of Boston (just across the Canal from Boston South Station). Lots of bars an restaurants are popping up in that area, and it is not too far from some of the more touristy things that anyone (30 something or not) might be doing as a Boston tourist (e.g. a short walk from Faneuil Hall and a slightly longer walk from the North End).

1. Fort Point (neighborhood)
  2. Boston South Station (attraction)
  3. Faneuil Hall (attraction)
  4. North End (neighborhood)

Gerry from Boston

Faneuil Hall area is easy to get around, over 100 bars and restaurants

very safe place, lots of fun for visitors!!!!

1. Faneuil Hall (attraction)

Daniel from Boston

Hi Julie,

I don't go out too often, but I can recommend some of my favorite spots to check out. I think the best place for visitors to experience Boston nightlife is Back Bay. It's central, safe, a little on the expensive side (but you can find some affordable spots). In Back Bay, I like The Salty Pig for eating and drinking. For cheap bar food, my favorite is The Pour House. There are lots of bars on Boylston Street and Newbury Street is mostly for shopping. 

There's a new neighborhood called Fort Point (or Seaport) with lots of bars. Popular ones are The Whiskey Priest and Atlantic Beer Garden. Also Harpoon Brewery recently opened the Harpoon Beer Hall which is a lot of fun. Also the Institute of Contemporary Art is close by. 

The Fenway area and Allston are full of bars but are mostly filled with undergrad college students. Pretty much anywhere past Kenmore Station on the B line. Judging from what you're looking for, it's probably best to skip this area. 

In Cambridge, Beat Hotel near Harvard Square is a cool new-ish bar. There's also Tasty Burger which is awesome. 

To me, Boston is a small city and I recommend that tourists get around by foot rather than the subway. The T stops are so close together that you can usually walk faster than deal with taking the T. You can sometimes see a T stop from another T stop.  Take the T to get to Cambridge or the airport, but you can pretty much walk everywhere else. I would also not recommend trying to drive in this city. 

1. The Salty Pig (restaurant)
  2. The Pour House (restaurant)
  3. The Whiskey Priest (attraction)
  4. Atlantic Beer Garden (attraction)
  5. Harpoon (restaurant)
  6. Institute of Contemporary Art (attraction)
  7. Kenmore Station (attraction)
  8. Beat Hotel (restaurant)
  9. Tasty Burger (restaurant)