Eunice
Turrialba

Boston

Worried about Boston cold weather. What should I wear?

I am from Costa Rica an I will be travelling to Boston to stay for New Year´s... however I am pretty worried about freezing. Some advise? 

Ross from Fort Collins

You'll be fine I am from Savannah and me and the wife hadn't even seen snow till we moved to colorado. Just wear a lot of layers and have some water proof gear.

1. Savannah (city)

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Eunice!  If you don't have cold weather clothes, I would have one outfit that can get you through a cold day.  If the forecast is bad, I would find out where some thrift stores are close to you,  like Goodwill, or something similar.  You can buy clothes there very inexpensively, wear them for your trip, and then "donate" them back to the thrift store.  Or, look for stores like TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack and you can find good brands of clothes for less expensive.  Just a thought if you don't have a lot of warm weather clothes.  If all else fails, there's a pub around almost every corner in Boston if you need to warm up!  :). Hope that helps and safe travels!

Ali from Lahore, Pakistan

The main thing that kills you in Boston is the wind. I'd recommend a down jacket if you have one, but if not bring several layers. I usually had to go out in 5-6 layers on the cold days to stay warm. Bring some big outerwear clothes that you have since otherwise you're gonna have trouble wearing so many layers.

Ruben from Boston

Pura vida! Here are some winter clothing tips for staying warm in Boston. 

1) Wool socks

2) Boots that go above the ankle. Don't wear sneakers or other ventilated shoes.

3) The temperature will likely be between 32 and 36 degrees fahrenheit. So you probably do not need long, thermal underwear. But check the weather reports before you leave.

4) Hat, gloves, scarf.

David from New Hampshire

Hello,

I've been to Costa Rica so I know how you may take the Boston winter weather. It will seem VERY cold to you even if it happens to be in the 20's or 30's F. I've been to Boston on New Year's Eve when it has been very cold and somewhat pleasant. You just need to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. You will have a miserable time if your hands and feet are cold so invest in good wool socks with comfortable boots. Wear nice warm insulated gloves. You can always take them off if it gets too warm. It is hard to add more if your hands are cold. I would suggest insulated pants (lined with fleece for example) and wear layers. A good base layer with a warm coat will work well. You probably won't be moving very much to generate heat so plan accordingly. I hope this helps. 

Boris from Boston

It can be really cold in Boston around New Year. And snowy.

1. Boston (city)

Kay from Vermont

Wool socks and wool sweaters will be your best friend. And warm boots are a good idea. I love my down jacket; it's light weight but extremely warm. Enjoy the cold! 

Daniel from Boston

Hola Eunice!

It's probably going to be very cold in Boston during your stay, so it's a good idea to prepare for the weather that us Bostonians have to deal with every year. I think the most important thing to bring for clothing is a good pair of boots. And a heavy coat. And gloves. And a scarf. And a winter hat. All of these things are very easily found throughout the city.

Boston is used to cold, snowy weather so our public transportation has heating and you're never too far from accessing the subway or a bus. For New Years, Boston does something called 'First Night' which is a series of special events and activities that take place throughout the city. It's a popular thing to do, but I think a lot of the activities take place outside.

Espero que lo pases bien en Boston (y que no te congelas!)

Vanessa

Hi Eunice!

The best way is to wear layers. Wear a thin shirt long sleeves or not, then add a sweater and then a winter jacket (feather filled ones are the best to keep you warm). This will help you to regulate your body temperature when you enter museums, coffee shops, metro, etc, because you can take the layers off. Also, very, very important is to wear warm winter socks, boots, gloves, a thick scarf and a ski cap or similar. The accessories are key to keep extremities warm… this way you'll feel comfortable. 

If your feet and hands freeze all the time and you feel very uncomfortable you can buy a foot warmer at sport stores.

Enjoy Boston, it's my favorite city!

Boston could be sun-shining and pleasant or really cold and snowy.  Pack layers so you can be prepared for either scenario.  Warm jacket, long sleeve shirts, sweaters/sweatshirts, gloves, hat and scarf.  Those should take care of you in the event of any weather!  Have fun!