Sophie
Bath

Boston, Acadia National Park

Travelling with my husband and daughters (10 and 8)

We arrive from England in mid-July and have just over a couple of weeks in all to travel up to Bar Harbour to stay with friends and then travel back down to Boston. We think we will go up the coast on our way there and inland on our way back. We are looking for some really fun and memorable activities and places to stay. Also any ideas of places that we could spend a few days at that has a pool and where we can relax and have a holiday in amongst the travelling and sightseeing.

Jeanne

Rosalie gave some terrific suggestions!

I'll add a few with the kids in mind. With a lineage descended from immigrants, I know the area well. As a New England native, I was born in MA and spent most of my adult life there. New Englanders can appear reserved at times. Most people are helpful and friendly. It is an area known for a fast pace of life. The Boston (Eastern, MA) accent can take some time to understand if the person is speaking rapidly. Some people consider it rude. Some people can have a direct, no nonsense manner.

Coastal New England is beautiful. The weather pattern is uniquely unpredictable due to nearby White Mountains, cool weather contributed by our friendly northern neighbor (Canada) and ocean currents. Summers can be quite humid. Beaches can become very crowded. Travel during off peak traffic hours can make travel easier.

You can escape to OMSI. Boston has a great science museum  See "Man at the Wheel" - Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial.

A beautiful beach in MA is Crane Beach. It is a well kept area.

In Bar Harbor, Cadillac Mountain is the point where the sun rises first - similar to Halleakakla in Hawaii.

For more New England resources you can access - 

Yankee Magazine

Enjoy your trip!       Jeanne Patterson

1. Gloucester Fisherman's Memorial (attraction)
  2. Crane Beach (attraction)
  3. Cadillac Mountain (attraction)

This is a fascinating area with lots of interesting places to see and it isn't as hot in July as in many areas of the US.  From Boston one possible stop would be Salem (Massachusetts)  In the US, Salem is notorious for two things - the Salem Witch trials (various more or less Witchy touring opportunities), and the House of Seven Gables - you can tour  the restored 1668 home that inspired Hawthorne's novel.  (He's an American author). Next go to Portsmouth (New Hampshire)- near there is a colonial village reconstruction called Strawbery Banke Museum  The next thing up the coast is Kennebunkport - known for its beaches and there is also a trolley museum.  Then Portland Maine Real Estate and then up US 1 to Bar Harbor.  While you are there be sure to visit Acadia National Park  Then on the way home go to the state capitol of Maine Augusta (Maine)  Then drive across the White Mountains to Burlington (Vermont) down along the lake to Middlebury and through the mountains to Manchester (New Hampshire) and then back to Boston

1. Boston (city)
  2. Salem (Massachusetts) (city)
  3. Portsmouth (New Hampshire) (city)
  4. Strawbery Banke Museum (attraction)
  5. Kennebunkport (city)
  6. Portland Maine Real Estate (attraction)
  7. Bar Harbor (city)
  8. Acadia National Park (amusement park)
  9. Augusta (Maine) (city)
  10. Burlington (Vermont) (city)
  11. Middlebury (city)
  12. Manchester (New Hampshire) (city)

Claudia from New York City

Sophie,

MassVacation, the official Massachusettes Tourism website has loads of info on traveling with kids - places to go, eat and sleep. Here are 5 to add to the list already given by fellow travelers:

For places to stay with a pool, check out:

1. Plimouth Plantation (attraction)
  2. CoCo Key Boston Water Park (attraction)
  3. Great Wolf Lodge New England (attraction)
  4. Bass Rocks Ocean Inn (hotel)
  5. Emerson Inn (hotel)
  6. Renaissance Boston Waterfront Hotel (hotel)
  7. Boston Marriott Copley Place (hotel)

Zene from Cristal Azul Boutique Retreat

Hi! I am from this area and grew up here! The most important thing to do with any young child and fun loving adult in Boston is THE DUCK TOURS!!!! If you are not shy, buy a few "quackers", it's such a fun tour and incredibly enjoyable if you love history. Guides are amazing. I have done more than a dozen times and hope to do it many more with my nieces and nephews. Head over to the Boston Common and ride the Swan Boats around the park, have a hot dog they are soo good! Bring bread to feed to the pigeons. I love Museum of ScienceBoston Children's Museum and the Aquarium to date, (I'm over 40). Quincy Market is a great place to eat and always has people performing, good shows! Salem (Massachusetts) is a very historical area and yes, home of the witch trials. Fun...spooky! Salem Willows Park is over in that area and is a simple little amusement park. Eat anywhere in this area on the water and you can't go wrong. Manchester-by-the-Sea and Singing Beach are beautiful,Newbury (Massachusetts) is worth looking at, so charming and New England. Canobie Lake Park has rides and there is an awesome water park in that area of NH...en route to Maine as well. Oh this is making me homesick as I now live in Costa Rica...good thing it's time for family vacation! Enjoy, eat lots of Taffy, Ice Cream, Lobsters and Mussels! Look out for local fairs and outdoor theaters in local towns. And to treat yourselves, enjoy the Union Oyster House in Boston if you enjoy Oysters and the No Name Restaurant! Enjoy!

1. Boston Common (attraction)
  2. Museum of Science (attraction)
  3. Boston Children's Museum (attraction)
  4. Aquarium (attraction)
  5. Quincy Market (attraction)
  6. Salem (Massachusetts) (city)
  7. Salem Willows Park (attraction)
  8. Manchester-by-the-Sea (city)
  9. Singing Beach (attraction)
  10. Newbury (Massachusetts) (city)
  11. Canobie Lake Park (attraction)
  12. Union Oyster House (restaurant)
  13. No Name Restaurant (restaurant)

Hi Sophie!

I would add a short visit to the famous Quincy Market to taste the delicious fish and chips, fried clam and/or the famous bostonian clam chowder. I loved it!!

Enjoy the ride!

1. Quincy Market (attraction)

Sign up for a rewards member to Hilton Honors, La Quinta, Holiday Inn Express,Marriott, AAA, Hertz. Then, if you stay at one brand, you will qualify for a free night. l am a Hilton Honors member, so last month l used my rewards for a discounted rate. You have chosen an expensive trip, an expensive time to travel, and expensive cities, so l would use the rewards. You have to call them and make sure the number is always added to the reservation. Plan destination around one brand. Sign up for that brand's credit card now.