John
Omaha, Nebraska

John from Omaha, Nebraska asked

Must-try foods in Boston

This will be my first time in Boston.  I keep hearing about chowder and lobster rolls, so any leads on that would be awesome.  While I'm at it, what other foods must I try there and where should I try them? 

Boston

Andreas from Manhattan

I'm jealous!  I used to go to Boston all the time growing up, but haven't been back in recent years as often as I'd like.  Fortunately, some of the best places there have been around for decades.  Also, chowder and lobster rolls go hand in hand, so you'll be able to kill two birds with one stones by visiting one place.  Here are the places you have to go:

• Boston Sail Loft Restaurant: messiest bowl of chowder you'll ever eat, and they're famous for it
  • James Hook & Company Lobster: their lobster rolls are off the hook and they have great chowder
  • Boston Chowda Co: went to this one all the time as a kid.  Great chowder and shrimp and lobster rolls
  • Morse Fish Company: I don't know how this place does it, but the prices are great, especially for the quality that you get.  Lobster rolls and fried clams here
  • Yankee Lobster: I think they're actually more known for their chowder than lobster
  • Belle Isle Seafood: this one's in East Boston. their lobster rolls are so generously filled with lobster that I can barely see bread

Have a wicked good time!

John
Thanks man! This is some really "wicked" stuff here!

1. Boston Sail Loft Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. James Hook & Company Lobster (restaurant)
  3. Boston Chowda Co (restaurant)
  4. Morse Fish Company (restaurant)
  5. Yankee Lobster (restaurant)
  6. Belle Isle Seafood (restaurant)
Andrew from Minneapolis

For lobster rolls, go to at  B&G Oysters. Don't let the hot dog bun fool you, the lobster rolls here are gourmet. The raw oyster selection also changes daily, so stop by more than once if you really love seafood. 

And if you just want to eat oysters, go to  Island Creek Oyster Bar.  It's run by the farmers of Island Creek Oyster Farm, each of the oysters served at the bar are grown and harvested by hand from Duxbury Bay. Trust me when I say they are perfect.

The Daily Catch is a family-owned, no-thrills restaurant that serves whatever came in fresh within the last 24 hours. It can't get any better than that.

If you like Chinese and seafood, you have to check out  New Jumbo Seafood Restaurant. It's a great Cantonese restaurant right in the heart of Chinatown serving amazing seafood dishes of every kind.

Trattoria Il Panino is my favorite sandwich shop in the North End. Italian sausage sandwich with spicy broccoli…OMG.

Santarpio's Pizza is a local favorite and is family owned. I've eaten my share of pizza in my lifetime, and not much compares to Santarpio's.

If you want to get some meat to go, go to  Salumeria Italiana. This little shop has been selling imported, handmade Italian meats and cheese for 50 years. They know what they're doing.

For dessert, go to  Maria's Pastry Shop for a cannoli.

John
These sound awesome! Thank you!

1. B&G Oysters (restaurant)
  2. Island Creek Oyster Bar (restaurant)
  3. The Daily Catch (restaurant)
  4. New Jumbo Seafood Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Trattoria Il Panino (restaurant)
  6. Santarpio's Pizza (restaurant)
  7. Salumeria Italiana (attraction)
  8. Maria's Pastry Shop (restaurant)
Trevor from Los Angeles

Andreas hooked you up with some great lobster roll recommendation so you've got a lot of choices on that front -- but here's one more to add into the mix:  Neptune Oyster in Boston's North End. It's a cool little restaurant with a great local vibe (and a great lobster roll for $25). 

PIZZA

A few doors down is my favorite pizza place in the whole city, Ernesto's Pizza. It's a hole in the wall and easy to miss. Order one slice becasue it's gigantic and they cut it in half creating two normal size slices.

BAKERY

Keep going down Salem Street until you reach  Bova's Bakery. This 24-hour bakery is my favorite in the city (Mike's Pastry or Modern Pastry usually get all the attention because they're a block away on busy Hanover Street). Bova's does sweet at savory really well. On the sweet side try a cannoli or really any of their pastries. On the savory side, try a flaky stuffed pastry or a rice ball (a ball of deep-fried rice filled with cheese/meat and topped with marinara sauce). 

Enjoy Boston!

John
This all sounds awesome (or I guess I should pick up the lingo and say "wicked") Thanks for the suggestions man!

Sarah Harju
I agree with Trevor. Bova or Modern Bakeries are the local authentic choices. Mike's Pastry is kinda a tourist trap.

1. Neptune Oyster (restaurant)
  2. Ernesto's Pizza (restaurant)
  3. Bova's Bakery (restaurant)
Saade from Boston

Hangover Buster Breakfast Sandwich - The Tequila Sunrise at  Espresso Royale Cafe on Commonwealth Ave or Pavement Coffeehouse on Newbury Street (same owner, same great sandwich) - photo - http://instagram.com/p/cB-osnCo9n/

Jalapeno Cream Cheese, Bacon, Diced Onions, Tomatos, Eggs - on a bagel of your choosing....#nomtown

John
That bagel looks almost wrong, yet so right... Hitting that up fo sho. Thanks man!

1. Espresso Royale Cafe (restaurant)
  2. Pavement Coffeehouse (restaurant)