m
Northbrook

m from Northbrook asked

How much time should be spent exploring Boston + surrounding areas?

We are flying into Boston, would like to take in a game at Fenway, JFK library, drive to Hyannis port, adding a night on Martha vineyard. Then head to stockbridge to see Norman Rockwell museum. Adding Woodstock, Kennebunkport, bar harbor, and Portland. Flying back from Portland.

On the way, we would like to stop and see a covered bridge, Halley's store, sandy neck beach, Maine coastal wildlife refuge, otter point,if time Coolidge library.  Would like some beach time.

How much time should we allow in each place, we have 9-10 days? Can we do it?

Boston

Derrick from Black Rock, Portland, Jamaica

I would visit the  John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum and Fenway Park on my first day , Then early next morning head for Hyannis and Martha's Vineyard . Overnight there, thenuse the next tthree days to visit the museum,Woodstock (New York), Kennebunkport, Bar Harbor, then you could comfortably cover the trip to Maine with the next three days.

David from New Hampshire

Wow, that is quite a packed vacation. I am sure you can do all that but I am afraid you won't have time to stop and smell the roses. You can do Fenway and JFK in 1 day. The Cape and Martha's Vineyard is 2 days in my opinion. Then heading west is another day. Then you want to go to Vermont then over to ME. That is another 1-2 days depending if in stay over. Kennebunk in itself is 1 day, Bar Harbor should be at least 2 days to take in Acadia National Park- very beautiful. Then you have Portland. You want to at least spend 1 day there before you head out. Maybe cut out Stockbridge and Woodstock and stick to the coast. You'll have more time to enjoy what you are seeing, in my opinion.

m
I really wanted to see the Norman Rockwell museum. I figured 2 days in Hyannis + 1 overnight in Martha's vineyard. I noticed we would be driving out of our way to Portland, are there any backroads to save time? Would like to hit the beaches in Hyannis and Portland.

David
There aren't really any backroads I am aware of that will save you time. Given the distance you are traveling you should stick to the main highways. What you want to do is not out of the question. As long as you don't mind the driving and properly schedule yourself you can fir in. I am not a big fan of driving too much on vacations so my take may be different than yours.

1. Acadia National Park (amusement park)