Aerin
Santa Barbara

Boston

Best boutique shopping?

I'm going to Boston later this summer, and I'm looking to do some shopping at boutiques and stores that are unique to Boston (no retail chains). We will be around Newbury St. one day and in Harvard Square another day. Any recommendations in these places? Thanks!

Alex from London

If you are in the Back Bay, walk further down Newbury Street (and Boylston St) plus check out the basements.  The further away you get from Copley Square the more independent stores you will find.

I also really like Charles Streetfor boutique shopping in Boston. I love the The Ruby Door for beautiful and unique jewellery, The Flat of the Hill for quirky homeware and gifts, there are loads of antiques and design shops as well.

For clothing and accessories, Charles St has some really great independently owned boutiques carrying local and international designers: Wish (my personal favourite), Crush BoutiquemoxieHoliday Boutique are just a few options. 

Have fun shopping!

1. Copley Square (attraction)
  2. Charles Street (attraction)
  3. The Ruby Door (attraction)
  4. The Flat of the Hill (attraction)
  5. Wish (attraction)
  6. Crush Boutique (attraction)
  7. moxie (attraction)
  8. Holiday Boutique (attraction)

Tod

Newbury Street and Harvard Square are two of the best places for boutique shopping in Boston. You should also check out the Bodega. It's a hidden door behind a Coke machine in a run down convenience store.

1. Newbury Street (attraction)
  2. Harvard Square (attraction)
  3. Bodega (attraction)

Kerry from Boston

Check out the SoWa Open Market on Sunday if you'll be in town. Lots of great stuff handmade by local artists and craftspeople (seriously I could buy everything there!) -- plus a farmers market and slew of food trucks. Opens at 10. http://sowasundays.com/

1. SoWa Open Market (attraction)