Theresa
Hollywood

Boston

24 Hours in Boston -- Best hidden gems?

Hi there! I'm going to be in Boston from the 16th to 17th of October and am trying to decide what to do with my limited time. I've been to Boston a few times before so I'd like suggestions that are less touristy. Also, I'm traveling for a wedding the next day, so preferably nothing to physically exhausting. I'll be traveling with my partner.

Where to go? What to see? Where to eat (I'm a vegetarian)?

Nathaniel from Boston

This isn't so much an itinerary, but a random collection of under the radar spots to eat or drink :)

First there's the South End, where you can wander from boutique to boutique, eat at Picco and drink at THE BEEHIVE and catch a show at the Boston Center For the Arts.

Or head to the other side of the river and visit Cambridge (Massachusetts) and Somerville.

In Davis Square, a cheap but delicious spot to grab a quick, vegetarian-friendly, budget bite is Amsterdam Falafelshop. If you want to check out candlepin bowling (a true Massachusetts staple) with great pizza and craft beer, check out Flatbread Company.

For vegetarian dinner that's trendy and ridiculously good, check out Sarma Restaurant in Somerville. Inventive food, curated bar program, and heaps of vegetarian options.

Some out of the way options include:

Union Square Donuts. They are amazing. I’ve had Voodoo, Top Pot, Coco, etc. These are better. Union Square has some fun shopping too, including an old record store, a comic shop, and plenty of hipster shops. If you find yourself there at night, Backbar does up some of Boston's best cocktails in a back alley speakeasy setup.

Like craft beer? Forget Sam Adams and Harpoon tours, Boston’s underground craft beer scene includes Aeronaut Brewing Company, Idle Hands Craft AlesNight Shift Brewing, and Mystic Brewery. You'll need a car to get to the last three but they’re all fun to visit. Uber your way from one to the other.

1. South End (neighborhood)
  2. Picco (restaurant)
  3. THE BEEHIVE (restaurant)
  4. Boston Center For the Arts (attraction)
  5. Cambridge (Massachusetts) (city)
  6. Somerville (city)
  7. Davis Square (attraction)
  8. Amsterdam Falafelshop (restaurant)
  9. Flatbread Company (restaurant)
  10. Sarma Restaurant (restaurant)
  11. Union Square Donuts (attraction)
  12. Backbar (attraction)
  13. Aeronaut Brewing Company (restaurant)
  14. Idle Hands Craft Ales (restaurant)
  15. Night Shift Brewing (attraction)
  16. Mystic Brewery (restaurant)

Todd from Boston

If you want the best spot to watch planes take off and land, that's off the beaten path, go check out Constitution Beach Park. You can hop on the Blue line train outbound and get off at Orient Heights Station. There's a great Vietnamese restaurant right at New Saigon   

You could also hop the Redline train to Davis Square where you'll find Amsterdam Falafelshop which is amazing, inexpensive AND vegetarian. While you're there you can check out some of the great bars like Saloon and Foundry On Elm for excellent cocktails. Or, depending on what night it is, walk a few blocks up to Johnny D's Uptown Restaurant & Music Club for live music.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I've eaten at Grasshopper several times. It's vegetarian and the food is excellent, and that's coming from a carnivore. You can get there on greenline "B" train. 

Finally, if you have access to a car and can get out of the city, go for a quick hike up Blue Hills Reservation. There's dozens of trails to choose from. I like the Chickatawbut hill trail as it's got a great view of the city. 

1. Constitution Beach Park (attraction)
  2. Orient Heights Station (attraction)
  3. New Saigon (restaurant)
  4. Davis Square (attraction)
  5. Amsterdam Falafelshop (restaurant)
  6. Saloon (restaurant)
  7. Foundry On Elm (restaurant)
  8. Johnny D's Uptown Restaurant & Music Club (attraction)
  9. Grasshopper (restaurant)
  10. Blue Hills Reservation (attraction)

Gerry from Boston

Spend the day at the new Seaport District, you can walk along Boston Harbor, seeing all the boats, planes landing at Logan Airport, and tons of new restaurants there, perfect for a fall day!!!

1. Seaport District (metro area)
  2. Boston Harbor (attraction)

Christopher from San Francisco

Lizard Lounge or Precinct Kitchen + Bar or The Sinclair or Brighton Music Hall for live music (also checkout Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub and T. T. the Bear's Place). Wednesday's at Lizard Lounge is one of the best live shows in Boston with Dennis Brennan (you'll see the best guitarist in Boston and Peter Wolf frequently shows up and does a set). Gourmet Dumpling House on Beach St. One dollar Island Creek oysters at Lineage Restaurant in Brookline at the bar every night 5-7.

1. Lizard Lounge (attraction)
  2. Precinct Kitchen + Bar (restaurant)
  3. The Sinclair (attraction)
  4. Brighton Music Hall (attraction)
  5. Middle East Restaurant and Nightclub (attraction)
  6. T. T. the Bear's Place (attraction)
  7. Gourmet Dumpling House (restaurant)
  8. Lineage Restaurant (restaurant)
  9. Brookline (city)