D-Jan
Netherlands

Bonaire

Going to Bonaire, anything special I should do or see that you know of?

Hi, I am going to spend 8 days of holiday on the Caribbean island of Bonaire pretty soon. Have never been there. I guess it's relaxing, eating and reading that I can do there with my fellow travellers (2 friends). But perhaps there's something more to do! If you know of something fun, exciting or cultural (....) or something diving-wise, I would really appreciate it if you would share it with me. Names, descriptions, anything is more than welcome.

Thank you in advance,  

Grtz D-Jan!

Marie-Eve from Montreal

I know your trip is done and I hope you enjoyed it! But I'm answering this on behalf of other people who might have a similar question.

Most people say there's nothing to do in Bonaire besides diving, a statement a disagree with wholeheartedly. Yes, diving is the main focus here and you shouldn't pass on the opportunity. But there is still quite a lot to be doing on the island. Or maybe it's just me? I thrive on finding things to do especially when there isn't supposed to be any...

Anyway, don't expect long sandy beaches (except for a few, Klein Bonaire being the nicest and longest) and lush vegetation. Bonaire is a diamond in the rough, but still filled with lots of opportunities, if you're willing to look for them.

Here are a few entries I wrote for Bonaire : http://www.globespots.com/places.php?country=bonaire

1. Klein Bonaire (island)

Fabrice from Nice

Hello, I hope that you enjoy diving, diving and diving otherwise 8 days is going to be pretty long. As far as day trip I highly recommand taking the boat to Klein Bonaire and spending the day. Ask to be dropped off to drift snorkel back to the pickup point. Bring a lot of sunscreen and water! Best coral spots are Divesite Karpata and Divesite 1000 Steps. Enjoy

1. Klein Bonaire (island)
  2. Divesite Karpata (attraction)
  3. Divesite 1000 Steps (attraction)

Ann from Bonaire

Head to Sorobon Beach to learn to windsurf or watch. Why not stop at Maiky Snack after for local eats such as fish and fungi, goat stew or iguana soup? After lunch head over to the Mangrove Lagoon for an amazing afternoon kayak through the island's sea nursery?

1. Sorobon Beach (attraction)
  2. Maiky Snack (restaurant)
  3. Mangrove Lagoon (attraction)

Quirine

We stayed at Sorobon Beach Resort such a nice experience to be surrounded by beach and nature. You can walk all the way through the clear sea water and snorkel or have surf lessons at the same place.

great bikeride along the saltcompany and see flamingoes

they are busy uplifting the rooms but the simple ones didn't bother us.

1. Sorobon Beach Resort (hotel)