Abdulla

Bolzano

How are the driving conditions from Bolzano to Como in December?

Looking to drive from Bolzano to Como. Is it possible? Is it difficult in December?

Andu

I would make sure I have my tire chains with me ! 

Davide

No it's not difficult, roads and highways are always in good condition, but I always prefer the train when possible.

Mary from Leicester

It is of course possible to drive from Bolzano to Como, though it isn't a short trip. The distance is around 280km (200 miles), with the fastest route (via Trento , VeronaBergamo and the outskirts of Milan) taking around 4 hours.  There are good roads all the way, though traffic congestion near cities (especially Milan) may slow you down.

www.viamichelin.com will give you route, route information, estimated driving time (always allow more) and route alternatives.

Frost, ice and even snow are all possible in December but none of them are guaranteed. No-one can tell you exactly what the weather will be like on the day you wish to drive, though it is very unlikely that there will be such heavy snowfall that driving will be impossible or even particularly difficult. You'll need to check the weather forecast a day or so beforehand..but even that won't be 100% accurate. 

If there is frost, ice or snow it is a matter of driving sensibly: keep your speed lower than normal, brake, accelerate and steer gently, allow more space for other vehicles and allow more time for manoeuvres.

1. Bolzano (attraction)
  2. Como (attraction)
  3. Trento (city)
  4. Verona (city)
  5. Bergamo (city)
  6. Milan (city)