Janet asked

must see places in Bologna, Italy

We will be driving from Florence, staying for 2 days in Bologna, suggestions for places to see, eat, and stay.

Bologna

Ekaterina from Copenhagen

H Janet, besides the cultural experience, the must try is food experience. as there region is famous for the food. There are many available food tours, but they are quite expensive. It is possible to get the same one for free, but you would need to organise it your self. I did it recently when I went to Bologna and it was amazing. I have my self a travel blog, hence you can find more info here;

https://www.discoverithub.com/traveltipsblog/bologna-alternative-sightseeing-or-free-guided-tour-to-parmegiano-producing-diary-and-balsamico-factory

1. Bologna (city)
Mary from Leicester

The truly wonderful basilica in Bolognais Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano (not 'di Magra'), often called 'Sette Chiese' (seven churches). It is a complex of (linked) churches from several different eras, including a wonderful round church which is traditionally dated to the 5th century. 

The anatomical theatre of the Archiginnasio of Bologna was, sadly, almost completely destroyed in a Second World War bombing raid but has been reconstructed using the original pieces where possible.

The Due Torri are two unmissable and absolutely huge Medieval towers (Garisenda and Asinelli) which still stand in the historical centre and are a symbol of the city.  It is possible to climb up one of them which, if you take the effort, will provide you with fantastic views of the city. There are lots of other Medieval towers in the centre (the Tourist Info can provide a map) but they have all been 'lopped'. The Due Torri remain at more-or-less their original height.

The Quadrilateroarea in the heart of the historical centre is a foodie's paradise and well worth a wander.

If you haven't already planned to visit nearby Ravenna I very strongly suggest that you do so (either by car or by train). Ravenna is a UNESCO World Heritage site and the Byzantine mosaics in its ancient churches, baptistries and tombs are simply stunning. 

1. Bologna (city)
  2. Basilica Santuario Santo Stefano (attraction)
  3. Archiginnasio of Bologna (attraction)
  4. Due Torri (attraction)
  5. Quadrilatero (attraction)
  6. Ravenna (city)
Julie from York

Hi Janet

As others have said, Bologna is wonderful!

You can also walk to the Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca, (which Paul mentioned in his response) through the city's famous porticoes. They run the full 4km from the centre to the Sanctuary.

A day trip to Ferrara is also an option (I'd recommend it). Others have told me that Ravenna is also good for a day trip.

Bologna is also an incredible foodie destination. I wrote about this and other general recommendations here: http://www.thegapyearedit.com/travel/bologna-hipsters-meet-history/

Have fun - you're in for a treat!

Kind regards
Julie

1. Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca, (attraction)
  2. Ferrara (city)
  3. Ravenna (attraction)
Paul from Dublin

I agree with Kemkem's answer. Bologna is a fabulous place. One of my favourites in Italy. She's covered most of the main things to do.

However, I disagree with her about the church of Santo Stefano di Magra. It's a fascinating place. The secret to it that it is actually 4 churches in one. (It used to be 7).

Many people don't realise this and only ever see the main church. To get to the others you have to exit through a small door on the left near the altar. This takes you out into a whole new area that leads to other treasures. Don't miss it.

The other "don't miss" is the beautiful anatomical theater at the world’s oldest continuously operating university in the heart of Bologna. It's completely carved from spruce with its imposing marble table still in position before the teacher’s chair.

Also take a visit to the hilltop basilica, the Sanctuary of the Madonna di San Luca,. This is on a hill overlooking the city and has great views as well as being an interesting place to visit. A good way to get there is to take the "street train" from the centre of town.

Kemkem from Malaga

We really enjoyed our time in Bologna. It's chock full of history and is really beautiful. Here is a rough guide post l wrote that answers some of your questions. I hope you have a great time as l find it a very special place. http://nextbiteoflife.com/2016/09/05/bologna-italy-rough-guide/

Ivan

No one mention the church of san petronio ? It's a must-see attraction!

Of course you have to climb the asinelli tower for a beautiful panorama. As Mary has already sayed, the Asinelli and Garisenda Tower are one of the symbols of the city.

Anyway In Bologna there are also some hidden gems like the seven secrets! A sightseeing very nice.
And if you like modern art you have to go to MAMbo

1. Garisenda Tower (attraction)
  2. Bologna (city)
  3. MAMbo (attraction)