Daljeet

Black Rock City, Nevada

Best way to do burning man?

I know this is a bit of a generic question, but I'm sure there's many Burning Man fans out there and I want to know the range of opinions: what's the best way to get to and do Burning Man? I'm on the other side of the world and without too much money so I need low-budget but high-fun options!

Is camping best or is it worth spending the money on a campervan? Is it better to go with a group of people or is it better to have the freedom of going as an individual? What are the essentials I need to pack and should I bring loads of food? Any other advice?

Bret from Columbus

I went in 2001, 2004, 2007, and 2013. In 2001, I rode a Honda CB750 from Columbus, Ohio with all my gear packed on the bike and only survival rations of food. In 2004, I arranged to ride-share with people who were renting an RV (recreational vehicle) in Las Vegas. In 2007 and 2013, I drove my own car from Columbus. In your situation, I suggest you look for a ride-share from Las Vegas, and fly there. You can pay a little money for gas, and just ride along without the worries of driving.

I always camp by myself, so I have the freedom to explore on my own, but you are never alone at Burning Man. Don't worry about food. Everyone brings plenty to share, and everyone wants to share, especially, with people who have traveled from such a great distance. Just go man! It will change your life. It's an adventure that will fill you with love for the world. It will become a new home for your heart. Just get there. Enjoy the adventure.

I don't know this answer, but my favorite photographer just got back after his 4th year there and he posts about it, so check out Trey Ratcliff's photos all over the web or head to his blog.

http://www.stuckincustoms.com/category/travel/nevada/burning-man/