Joanne

Best way to prevent ears blocking during descent?

What is the best thing to prevent ears from blocking during descent ? Mine stay blocked for a long time and that is when I need to hear the most.

Ruth from Utah

I always take gum with me and as we are taking off and landing in a plane I chew it and it seems to take the pressure off my ears.

A few things that help:  Try to keep them from plugging on descent by holding your nose shut, and then "try" to blow your nose; chewing gum or sucking on a life-saver or other hard candy.  I've also heard that for babies, moms have carried washcloths, upon the decent they've asked for a cup of very, very hot water.  Soak the washcloth, then hold over the ears.  The moisture should help keep them from clogging up.

Vann from North Brookfield, Massachusetts

Try fake yawning. Stretch wide and it might help.

Gita from Mumbai

I either chew on something or drink water, seems to help.

John from Southampton

Suck on a sweet!

Maurice from Dublin

Styrofoam cups over each ear, it works great with babies, you may look funny doing it as an adult but then who cares

Matt from Singapore

Try a scuba diver ear equalization (and don't forget to wiggle your head) see: https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/download/DiversGuidetoEars.pdf

Yutak from Brooklyn

eating a hard candy helps pop the ear

Kristin

I take sudafed before taking off and this works well for me. If I forget, mine are clogged until the next day!

Barbara from Tampa

A product called Earplanes works for me most of the time. I put them in well before landing (you can wear the whole flight if you wish). I buy at Walmart. When I say 'most' of the time I am saying '90%' because there is always some stray landing that nothing helps!

Pamela from Falls Church

Try all the other suggestions but if all else fails take sudafed.  This is the only thing that works for me to stop the ear pain and weird blocked ear feeling of taking a flight.  This was my doctor's suggestion.

Micheline from Gatineau

Chewing gum works for me every time.

Optimist from Dunedin

I have to do a "Louis Armstrong" :D 
That is, I close my mouth tight, pinch my nose closed, and try to force as much air into my mouth as possible, so my cheeks go out like Louis's.  This helps equalise the pressure through the Eustachian tubes on descent. 

But avoid doing this if you have a bad cold: it can lead to ear infection.

I try to pre-empt all this by keeping everything clear by sniffing camphor (anything like Vicks brand), and chewing mint gum, yawning, wiggling jawbone around.  It really is a suite of approaches, but when I discovered the Louis Armstrong manoeuvre, my life was suddenly devoid of airplane pressure descent pain!  Good luck :-)

Nars from Boston

Noise canceling headphones seem to work for me.