Jillian

Best type of gift cards for travelers?

What are the best type of gift cards to receive as a traveler? I'm looking for the most valuable gift card options for some travel friends and I'd like to give something other than cash/money on a card. 

As an avid traveler, what is most valuable gift certificate/card/reward to you? Are some better than others and why?

Michelle from Melbourne

Some type of debit card perhaps pre-loaded with the currency of where they're going? I know I'd appreciate a gift that put the power in my hands to decide how to use it rather than locking me into a particular hotel group or airline. If you know someone's booked a particular airline and you have miles you could offer for an upgrade, that would always be a treat. I know that here in Australia, being able to use points for an upgrade is hugely dependent on the fare structure of the original ticket (and it's pretty restricted). You could end up giving away your miles for no return.

Kat from Brooklyn

Maybe a pre-paid Visa if you don't want to give cash?  Airline miles or hotel points for upgrades would also be welcome I imagine. 

Just be careful with AMEX as not everywhere takes American Express, even stateside. 

Roxanne from Montreal

I love the answers Michelle Dunner and Jacey Mahaffy gave you. Those are great ideas. 

I also love to shop for different travel gadgets in my favorite traveling stores either online or live.  If you have that kind of store in your town or if your friend have a favorite website to get their gear go for it. Look also in camping gear shops, they have lots of compact versions of different useful things.

Hi Jillian!  If they are close friends of yours, you may know where their upcoming trips are.  I love the idea of looking into some exciting restaurants/bars near their hotel and grab a gift card-even if it is just $20 to cover some cocktails.  Gives them something to look forward to and a place to start their trip!

I still print all my photos and put them in an album, someone gave me a gift card to Walgreens once specifically for the photo department.  I thought that was rather creative and helpful since 600 photos can get expensive!

Lastly, I recently saw a really neat "cord" organizer device.  The last trip we took I left a different charger in 3 different hotels...oops.  Loved the idea of keeping them organized and in one place...I think between my husband and I we utilize 5 different chargers??

Louise from Los Angeles

I'd have to say the American Express Gift Card alllll the way. 

Jamie

I would say an airline ticket gift card-- Southwest is my favorite because the cancellation policy is so great, an excursion or a pass to the national parks, or TSA precheck. You can also get a gift card for airbnb! I made a video about some travel gifts you may find useful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b72C5p414Zg