varun
India

Best travel quotes?

What is your favorite travel quote? It may be by someone already registered in the history book or created by yourself.

Ross from Fort Collins

“There are no foreign lands. It is the traveler only who is foreign.” –Robert Louis Stevenson

I have two:

Whoever created the world went to a lot of trouble.  It would be downright rude not to go out and see as much of it as possible.-Edward Readicker-Henderson

Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old.  A sense of childhood awe blooms when we travel.-Franz Kafka

Billy from Chicago

“We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us. Even while the earth sleeps we travel. We are the seeds of the tenacious plant, and it is in our ripeness and our fullness of heart that we are given to the wind and are scattered.” 
― Khalil Gibran, The Prophet

Gerry from Boston

A journey is best measured in friends, rather than miles!!!

Lucy from London

“All my life one of my greatest desires has been to travel-to see and touch unknown countries, to swim in unknown seas, to circle the globe, observing new lands, seas, people, and ideas with insatiable appetite, to see everything for the first time and for the last time, casting a slow, prolonged glance, then to close my eyes and feel the riches deposit themselves inside me calmly or stormily according to their pleasure, until time passes them at last through its fine sieve, straining the quintessence out of all the joys and sorrows.” 
― Nikos KazantzakisReport to Greco

Keith from Bowness-on-Windermere

Whoever wrote 'It is better to travel than to arrive' never flew with Ryanair. (Keith Kellett) 

Jake from Los Angeles

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

- Mark Twain

Our whole blog and mission on our website is summed up by this quote!

Daisy from California

You have a magic carpet that can whiz you through the air

To Spain or Maine or Africa if you just tell it where.

So will you let it take you where you've never been before?

Or will you buy some drapes to match and use it on your floor?

Shel Silverstein

(We have left this with new travel friends and in pubs and restaurants around the world)

Laurel from Florida

"Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry, but by demonstrating that all peoples cry, laugh, eat, worry, and die, it can introduce the idea that if we try and understand each other, we may even become friends." Maya Angelou

Arti from Mumbai

"I enter the temple, seek the dream world of the monks, thumb through the sutras, feel the dustiness of this traveler's life." ~ Yuan Hung-tao

This quote (taken from Travel + Leisure) best reflects my thinking about traveling: "You lose sight of things...and when you travel, everything balances out". Daranna Gidel.

Scott from Fort Collins

Hello Varun!  I was reading a travel article in National Geographic Explorer last year.  The article was written by Edward Readicker-Henderson.  His quote is as follows:  "Whoever created the world went to a lot of trouble.  It would be downright rude not to go out and see as much of it as possible."

Tereza from Prague

"Collect moments, not things"

More travel quotes also here available.

Happy travels!

"Once a year, go someplace you've never been before". Dalai Lama. 

Saludos!!

Came across a good one today from the ever excellent Anthony Bourdain:

“Travel isn’t always pretty. It isn’t always comfortable. Sometimes it hurts, it even breaks your heart. But that’s okay. The journey changes you; it should change you. It leaves marks on your memory, on your consciousness, on your heart, and on your body. You take something with you. Hopefully, you leave something good behind.” 

Faris from Riyadh

“I have found out that there ain't no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.” - Mark Twain

To travel is to live: Hand Christian Andersen.

I don't have one. I realize this makes me sound a bit odd, but it never occurred to me to care very much about what someone else said about travel. I like traveling, and I'm glad others do, too. That's good enough for me.

Katerina from Los Angeles

"They should tell you when you're born: have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel." - Gabrielle Zevin

Jenny from Kidderminster

The woods are lovely dark and deep but i have promises to keep

And miles to go before I sleep

And miles to go before I sleep

Robert Frost.

Maybe not particularly related to travel but I liked the sentiment.

Liran from Townville

J.R.R. Tolkien - 'Not all those who wander are lost.'

Sean from Cape Town

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore, Dream, Discover."

- Mark Twain

Here are bunch of great quotes - so many to choose from :)

http://www.roughguides.com/gallery/50-inspirational-travel-quotes/#/0

http://expertvagabond.com/best-travel-quotes/

Panos from Stockholm

The longest journey begins with a single step.

Babak from Brazil

"Hope the voyage is a long one" by C.P. Cavafy

http://andiquote.org/quote.php?q=2936

Keith from Bowness-on-Windermere

'You are not lost till you sit down and give up. Until then, you are merely mislaid' (Hamish Brown) 

Jae from Singapore

I have two:

“A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving.” – Lao Tzu
“People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of people they ignore at home.” – Dagobert D. Runes

I even dissect what these and a few other quotes imply and how we could possibly accomplish their meaning in my blog: http://traveljetpack.com/travel-apps-help-you-live-travel-quote/

Anna from Naples

"Every day is a journey and the journey itself is home".