Debbie from San Francisco asked

Best towns around the world to experience the holiday magic?

What are some of the best small towns around the world to experience the holiday festivities?  I'm thinking Christmas lanes with extravagant lights, town squares with giant Christmas trees, good holiday shopping with festive store displays, and holiday feast-worthy eats.  

Would love if you had photos to share, too!

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

I immediately think of the Christmas Markets in Germany!  :)  It seems every town and city in Germany has them.  I only had the opportunity to go to a couple of them when I studied in Heidelberg for a semester of college. The other was in Augsburg where my mother is from.  The best Lebkuchen (gingerbread) I have ever eaten comes from Cafe Eber in Augsburg (located on the town square where the Christmas Market takes place).  It is made fresh there, but only during the holidays: http://www.cafe-eber.de/lebkuchentuete.html  My grandmother sent it to us every year for Christmas, and it's something I miss since she passed away in 2006.  There are lots of feast-worthy eats at these markets, and they are very festive and fun! 

These sound wonderful! Very sweet that your grandmother used to send you those cookies. I'm very fond of food, and I'm a nostalgic person, so I think that that's a cool connection to have to a place :)

Ernst
I'd love to go to Germany for the holidays one year, visit friends in different cities, go to their local Christmas markets, drink Glühwein and eat delicious food. :)

That sounds like fun! I think I can fit in a carry-on bag :P

1. Heidelberg (city)
  2. Augsburg (city)
Laura from Honolulu

Clifton Mill in Clifton, Ohio.  

Day or night, this place looks so cool! Thanks for sharing :)

1. Clifton Mill (restaurant)
N H from Seattle

My Family lives in Belgium - the Wintermarkets are amazing there. Grab some Glug, have a chocolate treat and walk the stalls, all while carolers sing, music floats in the air and people mingle happily, skate on the little rinks, or play games. It really is a lovely tradition!

Here are some recommendations:

Brussels Winter Wonders
Brussels Christmas Market, the Winter Wonders takes place in the heart of Brussels. Hailed as ‘Europe’s most original Christmas market’ by British tour operators. Prepare to be impressed !

Open From 28 Nov 14 to 04 Jan 15

Winterland Hasselt
Winterland Hasselt turns Hasselt – already known as the Capital of Taste – into the most atmospheric of Christmas towns in Belgium.

Open From 15 Nov 14 to 04 Jan 15

Ghent Christmas Market
At Ghent Christmas Market, you can enjoy the best of the city's sights, whilst sampling the delights of the region's food and drinks, such as chocolates, cookies and local specialities

Open From 05 Dec 14 to 04 Jan 15

Liege Christmas Market
The “Village de Noël de Liège” (Christmas Village) has become one of Belgiums' most famous Chrismas Markets in Belgium, with wooden chalets offering gastronomic specialities, handicrafts and souvenirs

Open From 28 Nov 14 to 30 Dec 14

Valerie
Awesome answer! Makes me want to buy a plane ticket this December and head over there

Thanks for sharing, NH! These all sound so wonderful! By the way, the Trippy team has helped you geo-tag all the cities you mentioned so that they appear on a map with your answer :)

Ernst
If I ever make it over to Germany for the holidays, I will have to try to get to Belgium too! :) I was in Bruges a few years ago and loved that town!

1. Belgium (attraction)
  2. Brussels (city)
  3. Hasselt (city)
  4. Ghent (city)
  5. Liege (city)
Yoko

Funchal, capital of the Portuguese island Madeira is a real treat for Christmas lovers! Think: tiny island, warm Portuguese people, and an absolutely crazy amount of Christmas lights. Any winter lover would fall in love with this place! It's a best seller in Portugal to spend New Year's Eve as well. And overal, the island is just dropdead gorgeous!

Oooh, two mentions for Funchal! Sounds lovely! Thank you for sharing :)

1. Funchal (city)
  2. Madeira (region)
Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

Ahhhh! 

I would love to answer this question :) 

GermanyGermanyGermany

I would love to spend the entire month of December one year (who knows maybe even this year...) travelling across Germany visiting all the Christmas Markets!

It is filled with snow, children's games, sledding, food, hot wine, holiday ornaments and Christmas spirit! 

This is coming from a Canadian who is severely missing her homeland and currently living in Freiburg im Breisgau

Another great place for Christmas markets is Strasbourg

<3, 

Jenna 
http://www.giveforgranted.com

1. Germany (attraction)
  2. Germany (attraction)
  3. Germany (attraction)
  4. Freiburg im Breisgau (city)
  5. Strasbourg (city)
Ben from London

Central Europe is hands down the best place for a bit of Christmas magic.  I would say especially Austria.  The markets in Vienna at Rathaus is magical along with the one at Schönbrunn Palace just outside Vienna.

The one in Munich in Marienplatz is beautiful also.

The best thing is also the special Christmas mugs you get from each one (or you get your €2 deposit back) when you get a Gluhwein for a souvenir or Christmas present for family/friends!

These sound wonderful! Thank you, Ben!

1. Rathaus (attraction)
  2. Schönbrunn Palace (attraction)
  3. Marienplatz (attraction)

Funchal is probably the place in the world where I have seen the most festivity during christmas and new year.

They really love the holidays there.

If you are in Southeast Asia then the malls in Kuala Lumpur have massive decorations too during holidays and this goes for almost all religious holidays there as the country is very multi cultural.

Wow, I never would've thought of these two places, but I love these ideas! Thank you!

1. Funchal (city)
  2. Kuala Lumpur (city)
Polly from Washington, DC

Completely obvious answer, but since no one else has listed it yet - New York City! Christmas markets at Bryant Park and Union Square, ice skating at Bryant Park, Rockefeller Center, and Central Park, the most famous holiday window displays in the world on 5th Ave, Christmas shows at Radio City Music Hall and Lincoln Center, and of course, the tree at Rockefeller Plaza.

Love! I have been there for Thanksgiving and New Years before, which is close enough, but one of these days, I will make it there just before Christmas! Thanks for sharing :)

1. New York City (city)
  2. Bryant Park (attraction)
  3. Union Square (attraction)
  4. 5th Ave (attraction)
  5. Radio City Music Hall (attraction)
  6. Lincoln Center (attraction)
  7. Rockefeller Plaza (attraction)
Jaleh from Baltimore

My two favorites were the Christmas Market in Piazza Navona and the huge Christmas celebration that ran up and down the Champs-Élysées. The one in Rome isn't huge, but is a great place to find Christmas gifts, while the one in Paris is absolutely extravagant with ice rinks, food vendors, etc. Both of these go up right around U.S. Thanksgiving time, allowing people a large window of time to really soak it all up and see everything. I have a ton of great pictures, but they won't load for some reason; however, trust me, they're both really great experiences!

Thanks, Jaleh! The holidays in Europe sound amazing :)

1. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  2. Champs-Élysées (attraction)
Ernst from Long Island (New York)

I answered previously, but just found a website linking to Christmas Markets in 32 countries: http://www.christmasmarkets.com/

Thanks, Ernst!

Danny from Brooklyn

There is this little town i love called New York City!!! Lol

Nice! I've spent a Thanksgiving and a New Years there :)

1. New York City (city)
John from Casper

For a delightful Thanksgiving weekend you may want to try Healdsburg, CA, in Sonoma County.  The town plaza has the lighted big trees, decorations and town carolers. As a community near the Sonoma, Alexander and Napa Valley wine producing regions the community will have at least one downtown walk, where shops are open and serving wine or hors d'oeuvres or desserts. Such fun, that Santa too, will stop in. A surprisingly good selection of restaurants, a great town square bakery, easy and safe walking and very pleasant people.

Thanks, John! I actually live fairly close to Healdsburg, but have somehow never gone there during the holiday season before. I'll have to check it out!

1. Healdsburg (attraction)
Roxanne from Montreal

Annecy in Savoie,   best old town, romming in the street, don't miss the "marché".  Take a stroll along the lake or take a car arround it. Go to smaler villages in the region.  Good food, good wine, good company, what els can you want ?

Oooooh, I've heard the wonders of Annecy and almost went when I was in Geneva last year, but ran out of time! Sounds lovely. I'll have to come back :)

1. Annecy (city)
Mei & Kerstin from Larochette

Salzburg and Strasbourg  are definitely the best small towns in Europe for Christmas holidays! It's where the largest AND oldest Christmas markets in Europe are held! We're heading to Strasbourg for the Holidays this year. Want to join us? :) 

Oh, if only!!!!! Sounds lovely and charming. Thank you for the suggestion! :)

1. Salzburg (city)
  2. Strasbourg (city)
N H from Seattle

Just wanted to follow up - where did you end up visiting?

ronald from Roanoke

Iceland and in the capital city during december

1. Iceland (country)