Lisa

Best shoes for traveling in the summer?

Hello! My husband and I will be spending 3 weeks traveling through England and Italy this summer. I'm looking for a pair or two of casual shoes that will be comfortable, seasonal, and dress-appropriate for the region. I will be wearing casual skirts, lightweight pants, longer shorts. We will for doing a lot of walking! Thanks in advance! 

Dave from Birmingham (Alabama)

Ecco shoes fit me the best for comfort!

I locked endless miles for 30 days all over Italy and Spain in a pair of Taos carousel sandals. They are 159 dollars at The Walking Company.I know that pricey, but I'm telling you I climbed towers and duomo's and was comfortable the entire trip. Best of all, they gave me about one and a half inches which made them perfect for wearing with pants and skirts as well as shorts. They come in pewter and copper as well as other basic colors. I got the copper, and they went with my entire wardrobe. I even wore them with a cute black maxi dress when I needed to dress up a little bit. I had no problems walking on cobblestone and was not bothered by the fact that they are open toe shoes.

Rich

Ecco is the most comfortable shoes

Ross from Fort Collins

Patagonia makes some very attractive light weight shoes that are great for traveling. Patagonia seems the best at making things attractive and very functional. Whitch can be rare! A little pricey though.

Eric from Washington

Chacos!!!

Roxanne

I have a couple of pairs of Keen Sandals.  The Rose Sandal is a little more dressy and comes in 8 different colours.  I can wear these with pants/shorts/skirts/dresses.  I wear the Keen Commuter for walking/biking etc. and these sandals are also good in the water (did a waterfall hike through the falls in these and they were GREAT!)  Other than that I carry one pair of light running shoes.

Jenny from New Jersey

I love sandals at all times so I feel the best sandals are BIrkenstocks- make sure to wear them in before you leave. Also Todds are great and light weight! 

Alisha from Nagpur

There is so much walking in Italy that comfort with a little style seems to be the way to go. 

I wore Naot sandals throughout Italy last summer and they were fine; I didn't notice anyone staring at my feet! The best thing was that they were comfortable and not too bad looking.

A lot of the Europeans seem to wear Mephisto thong sandals. I've noticed them throughout France and Italy over the last two years. I can't wear them, but if you can you might be interested. Hope this information helps you. Enjoy your journey.

Michelle from Melbourne

On my US trip this year I took one pair of slip on shoes and a pair of wedges. The wedges were great because they were comfortable enough to walk in and looked dressy enough to wear out to dinner. I'd suggest two pairs of 'walking shoes' for the daytime, to give your feet a break. My feet became very tired from wearing just one pair of flats basically all the time.

I'd say two flat pairs with good cushioning (and of course you can wear the wedges during the day as well). I hate wearing running shoes or trainers unless I'm in gym gear so I look at Skechers or some of the groovier shoes from Adidas or Puma. I actually got a great pair of walking shoes from Puma with velcro fasteners (I think they look great) in the kids' section - lucky I have small feet!

Abbi from Northeast

Nothing beats a pair of Keen sandals! 

I bought these about two years ago thinking I would just keep them in my purse and put them on if I really got in trouble with the shoes I was bringing. 

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-sexi-flip/11354,default,pd.html?cid=22Z#sz=67cgid=women-footwear-sandals&start=36

They were sensational!!! They look like they have no support and would leave you limping but they kept me going all day--I really couldn't believe it. Most of all, they looked great with everything I wore and you can literally wash them in the shower if you need to. 

This year I'm going to try these:

http://www.crocs.com/crocs-womens-really-sexi-t-strap-sandal/14975,default,pd.html?cid=54L#cgid=women-footwear-sandals&start=1

Debra from Amesbury, Massachusetts

I've always used walking shoes made by Clark's. They are comfortable for walking miles in and also goodlooking. 

Arpit from Jaipur, Rajasthan

Go for Arche Boots, Puma Ballet flats, sandals from walking company or flats from aerosoles

Elliott from San Francisco

Picking the correct travel shoes anywhere is one of the most important — and most difficult — parts of preparing for your travels to England. I am sure you will find specific recommendations, whether they are Merrill's, Ecco's, Tao's, etc, but here are my thoughts that apply to any choice you make.

Comfort is More Important than Fashion

England is designed to be navigated by foot and public transportation — and it is guaranteed that you’re going to walk a ton each day. You can easily walk 7-10 miles a day, so you want to treat your feet well. Even standing for long periods of time in museums can be killer on your feet. Those fashionable, yet uncomfortable, shoes will make your entire trip terrible — I can't stress this enough. But that doesn't mean you have to wear ugly shoes… find comfortable shoes that also look fairly fashionable. 

Tips for Comfort

Quality Socks – A lot of people spend a lot of money on shoes then throw on a pair of cheap socks, but quality socks are just about as important as the shoes. A good pair of socks will help prevent blisters, stop odor, and keep your feet comfortable. I am a big believer in self wicking socks and double lined socks.  These type of socks add length and width to your shoe, so I would recommend buying your socks first - then using them to try on various shoes.

Support & Insoles – Make sure your shoes have the proper support for your feet. A quality pair of insoles can make shoes and boots much more comfortable and they add extra support to flats.  In fact, I would suggest buying specially designed insoles after you choose your shoes.

Match Shoes to Destination – This seems like a no-brainer, but you need to match your shoes to when and where you’ll be traveling. A pair of flats isn’t appropriate for trekking through Ireland and pair of heavy-duty mountaineering boots probably is overkill for walking the streets of London.  I would suggest that you always buy lace ups - because you can adjust their tightness, and that you either buy waterproofed shoes or waterproof them yourself.

This is the Carol Strayed "Wild" rule: Break In Shoes – BREAK IN YOUR SHOES! Ok, I said it. Purchase your shoes a month or two before your trip and make sure you wear them a lot before you leave.

Whether to buy online or not.  There are many options, Zappos, Shoebuy, Amazon, that all have excellent selection, value, and exchange policies,  but because of the importance of choosing the most comfortable shoe, I suggest going for the brick-and-mortar approach at a high quality shoe store.

Kemkem from Malaga

I would second Ecco shoes too. They are super comfortable and stylish. I am not sure where you are located but in the U.S, you might get lucky and get them at a discount when they have them Nordstrom Rack Dulles Town Crossing. They have a lot of styles and they last for years and years. Another that lm would recommend is Clark's Shoes. They have been around for a gazillion years and with good reason. They are so comfortable and you can wear them for hours on end. Order online and l think they are cheaper that way than in the stores. if you want a slightly cheaper one, for for the Teva sandals. They are pretty comfortable too, and last. Enjoy your trip.

1. Ecco (attraction)
  2. Nordstrom Rack Dulles Town Crossing (attraction)
  3. Clark's Shoes (attraction)

Betsy from Missouri

I'm kind of a dork but I am all about Crocs. 

Mein from Toronto

Just read about these which may be suitable for some women

SON-R Flex Slip-On Shoe

http://www.sperry.com/en/son-r-flex-slip-on-shoe/17773W.html

Sperry Top-Sider 17773W Shoes $75.00

Roxanne from Montreal

I just love the Ecco line. You can find good waking shoes that look good with skirts and pants, sandals too.

Michael from Tacoma

I'll be wearing black Rockport Men's World Tour Classic Walking Shoes with Superfeet Green Premium Insoles - High Volume ($36-$45). I've found them at REI or Mens' Workwear stores or at Amazon. I remove the Rockport insoles and replace them with the orthotic insoles. They provide cushioning and support and can be trimmed to fit. (I also use Superset in my running shoes and hiking boots.) I might even try a pair of half-sole Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Orthotics ($50), too. My doctor recommended them when I experienced plantar fasciitis. They fit on top of the insoles and have reduced fatigue when I usher at my local theater. A Dr. Scholl's Custom Fit Kiosk in a nearby WalMart mapped my foot-pressure points and recommended the proper insert. I'll be spending most of my time in Paris and London, walking many miles a day through the city,in museums or climbing cathedral towers or hotel staircases in older hotels. I've worn Rockport ProWalker-style shoes for several trips over the last 20 years. They look good with slacks or jeans when it's time to see a play or visit a nice restaurant. 

Maria

I only took a pair of chacos for a 3 week European trip and they were great! The next time I went I had a pair of Teva Capri's that were cuter than the Chacos for dresses and such but still very comfortable. Have fun!!

Ve from São Paulo, Brazil

For me the best shoes are the ones that are my most confortable when at home. I usually take some neutral coloring flats, a sandal and a pair of converse but that is just because I wear them here all the time.

Unless you are doing some hiking there is no need to wear some different than what you would wear walking around your place (in the summer).

Coto from Santiago

The best ever shoe I have tried is 

PUMA Men's Osu NM Cross-Training Shoe, They are very confortable and light

Dave from Birmingham (Alabama)

My favorite traveling shoe is the Hoka!      Verrry nice-

Harley from Comanche

Flip Flops or Sandals

Heidi from Wisconsin

Tsubo has been my favorite for travel. I would avoid perfectly flat shoes as you'll feel every rock; try for a 1/2"-1" heel. 

Mein from Toronto

I like shoes with sturdy soles, support and some cushioning - and hopefully somewhat fashionable looking.

I’m a fan of KEEN footwear – at least their earlier models of their shoes and boots.  They tend to be on the rugged looking side. But even with a lot of city walking I’ve found that their soles don’t wear down as fast as other brands.  You can even put your own arch supports in their shoes.

I haven’t tried these but saw them on their site - they look pretty decent - the Alman Ankle sandal.

Or try looking at El Naturalista shoes. 

Peter from Slovenia

For me the best shoes ever for traveling are trekking shoes. I use them no matter if I go to the mountains, to a desert like in Tunisia (Africa) or Arizona (US), to a city or anywhere.

I currently have Salomon Campside mid GTX. They are so good that I purchased an additional pair for when the first pair won't be usable anymore. These are Goretex boots so I can use them in rain or in a muddy terrain. I also use two different pairs of gaiters with these. One pair for terrains like mud, forest, desert or rain, and another one for snow.

Comparing to sandals or light shoes they are very comfortable and I can walk on longer distances like 40 km or more without getting any blisters. Last time I was in Constantinople, Turkey, and I walked all around the old Byzantine walls, and through the city from sight to sight, taking photos all day long and made each day over 25 kilometers (measured with Run Keeper application on my phone). It was also raining all the time but my feet were like nothing happened. 

Linda

A good pair of walking sandals has always worked for me. Get them at a "comfort" shoe store. Ones with adjustable Velcro straps are great if your feet swell in the heat

Al from Mexico

Doc Martens are highly comfortable and can be worn in any occasion.