Kristina

Best places to visit with a significant other?

Currently single, but trying to get ideas of vacation sites to wait to see with my 'some day' significant other... Any recommendations?

Also, some places you would suggest seeing alone would be good to know too (so I can start crossing those off my list)!
Thank you :)

Josh from Baton Rouge

First I would say, go wherever you want to go.  Don't let being single hold you back.

But the distinction that I personally would make would be this:    I would rather visit somewhere for a cultural experience as a single person...maybe somewhere with many expats to make friends...then visit somewhere beautiful scenically or romantic.

So following that, I would recommend Southeast AsiaSouth America or in Europe somewhere like Budapest, rather than visiting Paris or Bavaria or Switzerland.  Also, your budget will go much further in these more culturally diverse places.

Ultimately, just do what you want to do.  If you go back, you could be the tour guide!

1. Southeast Asia (region)
  2. South America (continent)
  3. Budapest (city)
  5. Bavaria (state)
  6. Switzerland (country)

Maja from Stockholm

Follow your heart! It's completely up to what you depending what you and your (future) significant other love to do... could be beaches, mountains, deserts...what ever makes your heart and soul sing! Pick something your BOTH love be it relaxing in a 5 star resort or renting a RV to go road tripping in New Zealand. The world is your oyster :)

For the second part... don't ever let the fact that you're traveling alone stop you from going anywhere! Trust me, I've traveled all over the world, most of it solo and have never had a problem.

In fact, in many ways I think it much easier to learn more about a country and it's people when you travel alone, because you can more easily interact with locals.

For example, it's much easier to strike up a conversation in a restaurant or cafe if your by yourself, then if there are two of you vs the locals.

What ever you do - GO TRAVEL!! :)

1. New Zealand (country)

Christie from Hershey

Kristina - don't wait to travel!!!!  I have traveled solo much of my life, and find it a far more rewarding adventure than with someone else.  The immersion into the experience is enhanced when there is no familiarity close by.  An easy place to travel is New Zealand.  I have been there 3 times, alone, and it is other-worldly gorgeous, easy to get around (rent a car), and if you stay at B&B's which are all over the place, you will have some wonderful interactions with the hosts, while not feeling completely alone for the whole trip. Cruises are also a good way to travel alone without really being alone, if you can afford the single supplement.  But go out of the pedestrian - not the Caribbean - go to Europe or South America or Asia.  Majorca is also a great place for solo travel.  They are very American tourist friendly as there are so many Brits traveling there.  Again, rent a car and tool around.  Start crossing places off your list now. It will make you a much more interesting someday significant other to someone.  :)

1. New Zealand (country)
  2. Majorca (island)

Peter from Bloomington (Indiana)

Two impossibly romantic places are Venice and Quebec City.

2. Quebec City (city)

Nars from Boston

The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans in The French Quarter. Vieux-Montreal (old Montreal), Quebec, Canada. Invite a friend to travel with you?

1. The Ritz-Carlton, New Orleans (hotel)
  2. Vieux-Montreal (attraction)

Thomas from Viña del Mar

Hi Kristina, 

Asking for places to go with your partner while you are single is both strange and optimistic... I'd say keep Italy and France for that time. 

As things to do on your own, I have always felt long treks and backpacking are great to do alone, as you meet people along the way. Since I live in Chile, I would recommend Patagonia (Argentina) for a solo trip -or maybe with friends. If that sounds appealing, feel free to ask me for more info!

1. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)

Paris is the obvious one! My significant other and I honeymooned there and it was very romantic. Lots of amazing restaurants and late night jazz bars and lovely streets to walk. 

Province of Bergamo is also (for me) romantic and intimate.

The west of Ireland in winter is spectacular, especially driving though Connemara on a crisp icy morning, arriving at a small hotel with a log fire in your bedroom.

Cycling though the White mountains in New Hampshire in autumn is beautifulA picnic on an empty beach in Scotland can be glorious. 

Really, I think any place can be transformed into the most romantic place on earth with the right person.

2. Province of Bergamo (metro area)
  3. Ireland (country)
  4. Connemara (city)
  5. New Hampshire (state)
  6. Scotland (country)

Martin from Colorado

None.  Josh really answers it. 

Personally I always saving Hawaii or those beautiful islands to go with someone special, thankfully I had other reasons to visit and did.  If you return to these places with someone romantically or explore new places with this person the experiences will always be different.  You may actually meet that significant person in one of these romantic spots. 'Til then you are filling your amazing chest as a person.

Valerie from Cardiff

Venice would be my top choice. Stay as near to Piazza San Marcoas you can afford, and ask the concierge to recommend restaurants which are not too expensive and touristy. Set menus are good value, and you get to walk through St Mark's Square by moonlight when all the daytrippers have gone home, and down little alleys and over bridges, SO romantic!! But leave your high heels at home, flats really are best.

2. Piazza San Marco (attraction)

Alan from Dallas

It could well be that the right person to become your significant other is the one you may meet on your voyage!

Nelson Perez

Depends on what interest you and your partner. For Beaches try,

Panglao Island, El Nido, Palawan, Coron - Philippines

1. Panglao Island (city)
  2. El Nido (city)
  3. Palawan (city)
  4. Coron (city)

Russ from Ohio

We just returned from 2 weeks in Alaska, 1 on a hosted land tour and the second on a ship cruise. Weather in June, July and August is quite comfortable and the scenery everywhere is spectacular. Start in Fairbanks and go South by coach and train then from Anchorage cuise south to Vancouver. From the tallest Mountain in N.A. "Denali" to fantastic glaciers, it's amazing.

Even brought back a little panned Gold.

Ken from Charlotte

It really depends on what you enjoy and what you are looking for.  The typical locations like Paris are great options.  There is an incredible amount of history as well as amazing food.

If you are looking more for adventure and amazing natural beauty, then you can't go wrong with Switzerland.

Overall Europe has a lot to offer.  There is a tremendous amount of history, natural beauty, and easy transportation between locations.  You can use the high speed rail to get around and really have a lot of options.

The key thing, don't be scared just because you haven't been somewhere or don't know the language.  Most places (except the obvious danger zones) have a lot to offer and will be an amazing experience with your significant other.

We have spent time in central america, europe, and the middle east, and enjoyed all for different reasons.

2. Switzerland (country)