Gavin
China

Best elephant camps in the world?

What are the best elephant camps in the world? I'm looking for something that would be best for a family.

Nathaniel from Boston

I won't say this is the best, but I woke up one morning to a knock on my door at Mvuu Wilderness Lodge in Malawi. I stumbled out of bed trying to find my pants and said, "One moment!" But I heard a friendly voice say, "Do not come out here. There is an elephant right outside your door."

Of course, I took this to mean - find your pants AND your camera quick!

After it wandered off, I went around to the other side, where I had a small porch overlooking the river. I looked to my left to see my neighbor on her porch, backed up against the wall, holding her camera up to her face. Then, like a scene out of Jurassic Park, I saw the trees between us, and just beside me bend. There was an even more massive elephant standing just ten feet from me, eating his breakfast.

But elephants and hippos and crocs are everywhere in this area, and the opportunities to experience them up close and personal is everywhere.

And my personal favorite photo:

1. Mvuu Wilderness Lodge (hotel)

Jason from Selkirk, Manitoba

I'm not sure if it's the best one in the world but I found it to be one that does support and rehabilitate elephants. We enjoyed a few days of taking care of the elephants and know people that stayed for a month. If you're in Northern Thailandin the city of Chiang Mai, Check out Elephant Nature Park

http://www.elephantnaturepark.org

1. Thailand (country)
  2. Chiang Mai (city)
  3. Elephant Nature Park (attraction)

Ebrahim from Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Try the Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage in Sri Lanka . They have a feeding / petting area . Sri lanka is also a perfect family destination, great beaches Bentota the temple in Kandy the fort in Galle and a safari in Yala National Park. And of course there's Colombo which has enough things to do for all ages :)

1. Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage (attraction)
  2. Sri Lanka (country)
  3. Bentota (city)
  4. Kandy (city)
  5. Galle (city)
  6. Yala National Park (attraction)
  7. Colombo (city)

Julie from York

Hi Gavin,

Keeping with Jason's point about elephant conservation and rehabilitation, I spent a day at another elephant camp in Thailand, near Lampang (a couple of hours south of Chiang Mai).Www.thailandelephant.org/en/

Lampang itself has some examples of old teak architecture, and it's possible to get a public bus from there to the Elephant Conservation Centre.

hope this helps,

Julie

1. Lampang (city)

Maddie from Sydney

David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust for sure! 

It's an orphanage, so you'll have to spend a bit of money, but the cause and the experience is worth it. 

1. David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust (attraction)

Pam from Traverse City, Mi

Sanctuary Stanley's Camp in Botswana offers a walking safari with researcher Doug Groves and three orphaned elephants. Get up close and personal with these gentle giants while learning more about their creative intelligence. An incredible experience!

1. Sanctuary Stanley's Camp (attraction)