Caroline

Best destination wedding locations?

Where are the best destination wedding locations? Preferably somewhat accessible from the US East and West Coast. Good value for money, breathtakingly beautiful,  and lots of fun activities. 

Jillian from Los Angeles

So many amazing places but I'd have to say on the beach in Positano. It's just such a charming and romantic place.

1. Positano (city)

Justine from Adelaide, South Australia

We got married at The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, just a cab ride out of Puerto Vallarta. The resort were amazing, organized everything, they are pros with weddings, it was stress free. The service and food were incredible. We saw whales, went to hidden beach, my husband went surfing. So much to do. We did a day trip to Sayulita, a cute surf town near by. Best trip ever.

1. The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort (hotel)
  2. Puerto Vallarta (city)
  3. Sayulita (city)

We got married on Sanibel Island.  We had several criteria for our wedding location to make things as easy on our friends and family as possible, which is why we stayed in the US (some relatives would have to get passports).  If you are thinking similarly, in terms of US vs International...you can't beat it!  Regional Southwest Florida Airport is located in Fort Myers, and has tons of flights from major US hubs-including Jet Blue from the east coast.  You are roughly 30 minutes (no traffic) to the island.  The islands charm was amazing-no building above the tree line, very few national chain restaurants, tons of natural vegetation, and most of the island has bike paths.  On the island, there are plenty of lovely and/or fun restaurants and a shell museum (as you will find, the beach is completely covered in shells).  Fort Myers has excellent attractions as well, with a vibrant downtown and the Edison and Ford Winter Estates.  If you are thinking springtime, the Twins make their spring training home here as well.

I would suggest looking into, and meeting with hotels like Sundial Beach Resort & Spa or Casa Ybel Beach Resort on Sanibel or on Captiva-the South Seas Island Resort.  Each offers something different, and has various different facilities (i.e, some are not handicapped accessible to the banquet room, so you have to hold the reception outside or the size/accommodation of people).

Our most important thought in planning our wedding was for our guests to enjoy themselves-and based on the feedback we received, it was a success!

Good luck-and congratulations!

1. Sanibel (city)
  2. Edison and Ford Winter Estates (attraction)
  3. Sundial Beach Resort & Spa (hotel)
  4. Casa Ybel Beach Resort (hotel)
  5. South Seas Island Resort (hotel)

Jane

To minimize flight times, and provide good value for both you and your guests, I recommend Mexico.  If more visitors are from the west coast, Cabo San Lucas might be a good option (it would be a longer flight from the east coast).  Puerto Vallarta or Cancun/Riviera Maya would be my choices. More central location for people flying from east and west coast.

Your destination wedding needs to be an all-inclusive resort, so family friends, have meals, drinks, and entertainment provided.  There are a group of resorts that offer activities, too, included with your stay, that would be fun for your wedding party to do together.  The first thing is to take a look at is your budget, and determine the price range you will be expecting guests to pay for their stay (including an approximate cost for flights also). You want to make it affordable so those people closest to you, can be with you on your special day.

I am a member of the Destination Weddings and Honeymoon Specialists Association.  Why would you want to use services of a specialist?  Answers:  We know the resorts that offer value, good service, and any promotions they may be having for destination weddings. Here is the big reason:  If it is a group we coordinate the guests' travel arrangements, work with the resort to group rooms together,  and work with your friends and family to make their arrangements, get deposits, final payments, etc.  You can do it on your own, too, but it can be very stressful coordinating all the travel components for everyone.  Your big event needs to be stress free! 

www.facebook.com/DestinationWeddingMatch

http://destinationweddingmatch.com/

1. Mexico (country)
  2. Cabo San Lucas (city)
  3. Puerto Vallarta (city)
  4. Cancun (city)
  5. Riviera Maya (city)

Maggie from Brooklyn, New York

1. Charleston (city)

Shawn from Fort Lauderdale

The British Virgin Islands on a VOYAGE charters lux catamaran!! Amazingly beautiful, tons of activities and a great company to work with!

1. British Virgin Islands (country)

Pat from Dallas, Texas

The Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden {Gardens} Is Like A Story Book Land, With Year Round Gardens For Your Pleasure! Roger Clinton, {Bill's Little Brother} Had His Wedding Here In 1986! The Dallas Arboretum Is Located In Dallas, Texas.....On Garland Road!

1. Dallas Arboretum & Botanical Garden (attraction)

Jerome from Athens (Georgia)

I went to an awesome destination wedding in Barbados.

1. Barbados (country)

Kristi from Fresno

I am a travel agent who specializes in honeymoons and destination weddings and would advise that best value and good access from both coasts would be Cancun & Riviera Maya, and Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas (Mexico) - every other location except Hawaii would be an overnight flight from the west coast.   Most of the couples I work with choose an all-inclusive resort where all meals & drinks are included which is a great value and resorts run from 3-5 stars.  Happy to help if you want more info.  

1. Cancun (city)
  2. Riviera Maya (city)
  3. Puerto Vallarta (city)
  4. Cabo San Lucas (city)

Janelle from Charleston

Congrats on your marriage!

Hawaii.  All the major resorts on all the islands offer wedding packages.  I don't know what your budget is, but I'm sure you could find one resort that will work with your budget.  It is breathtakingly beautiful and there are loads of fun activities for the guests, although as the bride I doubt you'd have any time for fun what with all the last minute planning and stress over the wedding you'll be dealing with.

If I were getting married in Hawaii I'd want my wedding on the The Big Island, maybe at the Hilton Waikoloa Villageanother resort on the Kona side.

1. Hawaii (state)
  2. The Big Island (island)
  3. Hilton Waikoloa Village (attraction)
  4. Kona (island)

Mary Lou

Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur.! Breathtaking views, stunning architecture, natural beauty....there's nothing like it ! Now offering helicopter packages due to the slide on Hwy 1. 

1. Post Ranch Inn (restaurant)
  2. Big Sur (city)

Sanjana

Greece is the best option.

1. Greece (country)

Andrej from Slovenia

Bled (Slovenia), Otocec (Slovenia), Piran (Slovenia)

1. Bled (city)
  2. Otocec (city)
  3. Piran (city)

Vince from Sarasota

Caroline,

You did not say if in the US or overseas; indoor or outdoor.

You have some of the most beautiful places in the Bay area and the wineries of Napa/Sonoma. For example look into The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay.

Click: www.bridebox.com/blog/top-15-bay-area-wedding-venues-2014/

In the wide world, look where George Clooney got married: of course the ultimate best would be : Venice.

Second best in many places in the Tuscan Country side.....

1. Napa (city)
  2. Sonoma (city)
  3. The Ritz-Carlton, Half Moon Bay (hotel)

marilyn from Washington, DC

Bermuda. It’s a 2-hour flight from the East Coast, the beaches are pink, the island is gorgeous, snorkeling is terrific. I’d suggest the Fairmont Southampton Princess, great location, excellent food: http://www.fairmont.com/southampton-bermuda/meetings-weddings/weddings/

Abbie from Kingston, Rhode Island

Newport, RI or Cape Cod

1. Newport (city)
  2. Cape Cod (attraction)

Gil from Akron

I don't know. But my daughter's Las Vegas wedding was actually pretty cool. Weddings around here are OK, but after visiting Las Vegas for the purpose of a wedding,

1. Las Vegas (city)

Bill from Detroit, Michigan

Lahaina, Maui or the Fern Grotto on Kauai.

1. Lahaina (city)
  2. Fern Grotto (attraction)

Stuart from Redondo Beach

San Luis Obispo. Then honeymoon either in Carmel or Santa Barbara.

1. San Luis Obispo (city)
  2. Carmel (city)
  3. Santa Barbara (city)

Gerrie

1st Maui, 2nd Maui and if that does not sound possible. Get married locally and go to Maui for your Honeymoon. For thirty years I sent clients to many places to get married and mostly they were ok no matter where they went. Of course the budget matters, so I suggest you get married in May or October or any time in December before the 15th. I really mean to make this suggestion from my heart as I actually know what really works in many respects. 

Congratulations on making a life changing decision and all the best.

1. Maui (island)

Agnes from Virgin Islands

I suggest the Virgin Islands. St Thomas or St John. Great venues or locations and plenty of choice. Then, lots of fun things to do. Plus, there are a wide variety of choices for a wedding.

1. Virgin Islands (country)
  2. St Thomas (attraction)
  3. St John (island)

José Manuel from Miranda de Ebro, Spain

Come to Spain :-)

1. Spain (country)

J. from Baltimore, Maryland

Charleston, SC

It was good enough for Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds.  Conde Nast has rated it the best small city in the US 5 years in a row.  Fantastic dining scene, 350 years of history, beautiful beaches, golf, nightlife...

1. Charleston (city)

Kevin from Hermosa Beach

Here's a great, gorgeous place in Carmel,  CA, Holman Ranch. Besides the beauty and service, It's at a winery!

https://www.pubclub.com/destinations/united-states/california/carmel/holman-ranch-carmel-a-top-wedding-events-location/

1. Carmel (city)
  2. Holman Ranch (restaurant)

Rio de Janeiro is super scenic and has lot's of activities and you get some of the best views in the world from the mountains above the city.

1. Rio de Janeiro (city)