Lise
Huntsville

Bermuda

Where to stay

I'm looking to go with my best friend (girls trip) to Bermuda next May which I understand is a good month to go. Not knowing the area very well other than hearing about Hamilton being the center of town I would like to know if there is a good area to stay in. Would like to be on the beach if it is not real expensive and possibly staying in a condo so we can have our own bedroom and bathroom. We would be there a week and since I am very active would like to see and do as much as possible. Is the snorkeling good there? I have been to the Caymen Islands so am familiar with small islands.. We would also do a lot of shopping and would like to know some good local restaurants. Thank you

Bermuda is very expensive.  VERY expensive.   A two bedroom place would be about $1500/week  Most of the places for two people assume that they will be sleeping in one bed.  https://www.bermudarentals.com/en/781565/all-properties?SelectedLocationId=0,27&Arrival=20170514&Departure=20170520&NumberOfPeople=3

Food is also expensive.

Rather than try to be on the beach it would be better to stay near a bus route.  You can't rent a car on Bermuda, so you walk, take the bus/ferry or take a taxi (expensive), or else rent a moped - they drive on the left and I don't recommend the mopeds.  I started out to rent one, and chickened out when I saw the way they drive.  Plus they are expensive.  The bus is the way to go.  You can get a pass for the bus/ferry for the week.  You just need to take a taxi from the airport to where you are staying at the start of the trip and then back to the airport at the end.

http://www.bermuda4u.com/transport/buses/routes/

I have stayed there twice in hotels - once a long time ago in St. George - the site is now a condo, but it is not near any kind of transportation.  You have to take a cab from there to get to anyplace else And we also stayed at the Hamilton Princess with a meal plan (breakfast and dinner, so we only had to buy lunch out).  It was easy to walk into town and get the bus and we could also get a shuttle ferry to the Southampton Princess which had a beach we could use. 

I have never been able to snorkel there because I was always there off season when it was too cold and the wind stirred up the water.  I have heard it is good.  However the water may be a bit cold in May - Bermuda is not in the tropics.

The shopping there is not what it was as Triminghams has closed.  I recommend buying things made in Bermuda and the best place to find those things is out at King's Wharf at the Bermuda Craft Market in the old Cooperage.  There is also the Clocktower Mall at Kings Wharf.  If none of the Bermuda made things appeals, then the best prices are of things imported from the UK like irish linens and English china. Less expensive than if bought in the US, but still pretty expensive.  There are shops in Hamilton and also in St. George.  .

There is a LOT to do in Bermuda - I've been there six times and have not managed to see everything.  I've not snorkeled or dived, I have never been to the caves.  I have not been to all the museums.  I have not walked the old railroad trail.  I never managed to visit the Perfumery and the Printery in St. George has always been closed when I was there.

As far as restaurants - there are many of them, but relatively expensive.  The Hamilton Princess has a good (expensive) restaurant.  I've never been to the Swizzle Inn but that is often recommended for the Dark and Stormy drink.  I liked the Hog Penny and the Lobster Pot (in Hamilton).  A long time ago I ate at the White Horse in St George and hated it, but it has been through several different owners since then.  I've also eaten at the Frog and Onion (Kings Wharf).  You can get a relatively cheap lunch at the Clocktower mall and at the Botanical Garden.