Michael
Port Washington, New York

Bermuda

Cruise Excursions in Bermuda

We are going to Bermuda on cruise in the next few weeks. What are the best excursions?

Pat from Lewisberry, Pa

Dockyard has a nice snorkel park where you can spend the day at the beach and snorkel.  You can rent chairs and relax.   There is also a Dolphin Quest there as well as gift shops in the Clock Tower Shopping Mall.  You can take a tour of the Commissioners House.  I enjoy going to the glass blowing shop and watching their artistry at work.  Try some of the rum cakes!   

If you want to pick up souvenirs, just know that most shops are the same in Hamilton, St Georges, and Dockyard....  my favorite shop is in Hamilton and it's called Riihiluoma's Flying Colours.   I think they have the nicest t-shirts and gifts.  The The Island Shop is also a great place to look around.  If you have a jewelry lover in your group, there is a shop called Atlantic Jewellery Studio off Reid Street in Washington Mall in the town of Hamilton.   

The largest beach is Horseshoe Bay beach... my favorite place to lay on the beach and swim.  Gibb's Hill Lighthouse is close to Horseshoe bay beach, and I think that it's worth it to climb the lighthouse to see the view!   

In St George, there is a beach, Tobacco Bay, which I think is the nicest beach to snorkel.  No waves, very protected area and it has a snack bar so it's nice to spend 1/2 day there.  Once in St George, I think you can take a bus  or a taxi to Tobacco Bay.  St George has a town square with shops etc....     

Crystal and Fantasy Caves is another sight to see-- I've not been there but know many people that have.  It's closer to St Georges end of the island.  Also, there is an aquarium on the island, on the main island before crossing the causeway into St. George.

I usually rent a scooter while I am in Bermuda, but it's not to be taken lightly!  They drive on the left side, there are lots of "round abouts" to navigate and the car traffic can be very scarey.  My first trip to the island, I spent a day and just rode the bus around, getting off and on all day.   They have ferries running to and from St George and Hamilton, and Dockyard and Hamilton with stops along some of the routes.  I always enjoy a ferry ride and it's a much faster and economical way to get to the 3 largest areas, Hamilton, Dockyard and St George.  Taxis are very expensive.... but it's the way most people get around.  

I've never cruised to the island, as my daughter lived there for 3 years -- I've just visited about 15 times, the last trip was October 2013.  It's my favorite of the islands and overall it's pretty safe, but NEVER have purses etc hanging off you or sitting in the basket of your scooter..... cause it's  the easiest way  to target tourists -- by driving by on a scooter and snatching  from people or breaking into their scooter.....  

Be safe and have fun!  ... and try a Dark and Stormy drink  (Dark spicy rum with ginger beer)  or a Bermuda Swizzle....  There are restaurants called "The Swizzle Inn" that serve delicious rum swizzles...  Their motto is Swizzle In, Swagger out!   YUM

1. Dockyard (attraction)
  2. Dolphin Quest (attraction)
  3. Clock Tower Shopping Mall (attraction)
  4. Commissioners House (attraction)
  5. Riihiluoma's Flying Colours (attraction)
  6. Horseshoe Bay (hotel)
  7. Gibb's Hill Lighthouse (attraction)
  8. Tobacco Bay (attraction)
  9. Crystal and Fantasy Caves (attraction)
  10. The Swizzle Inn (restaurant)
  11. The Island Shop (attraction)
  12. Atlantic Jewellery Studio (attraction)