Caitlin

Berlin

What to do in Berlin with a short amount of time?

Hello all!

My friend and I will be traveling from Amsterdam to Berlin soon. The train we have booked is supposed to arrive late at night (11pm) but our AirBnB host will only allow us to check in at 3PM the next day. 

How should we keep ourselves busy until then or should we just check in to a hostel for the night?

Thank you!

Caitlin

JR from Manhattan Beach

I like some of these suggestions and I really like the fact that you're considering staying out all night your first night in Berlin. That would be an epic story. Some of the clubs go all night and into the next day so if you're there on a weekend when the club scene is going, you could totally pull it off. Aggressive for sure, but doable. 

Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap as mentioned by others is an a must for cheap late night grub. I ate there twice in 4 days last time I was in Berlin. I thought it was primarily a post drinking/partying spot but Lauren had it for breakfast. Both times I was there, I was rushing to beat the 2am closing time. 

Have fun!!

1. Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap (restaurant)

Lorraine

The train stations have luggage lockers-at Berlin Central Station they are in the carpark in Areac C on 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors. About 6 euros for 24 hours. Other stations also have them. You can store your luggage there and catch a train to Hackersmart where there are open all night bars and eateries. Lots of hostels have 24 reception even though they have defined check-in times. You may be able to arrange a late check-in by email. Try St Christopher's Berlin.

1. Berlin Central Station (attraction)
  2. St Christopher's Berlin (hotel)

Lauren from Chicago

Hi Caitlin,

Berlin is a city where you can easily party until the early hours of the morning, if that's your thing. My husband and I would start our sightseeing early and would still hear the thumping from the clubs after 8am :) Not sure what you would do with your bags, so you may want to just grab a hostel for a night, or maybe check and see if there is somewhere your Airbnb host would allow you to store them until you check in?

I would recommend stopping at Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap for an amazing taste of Berlin's street food to get your trip started. You'll see Döner Kebab stands all over Berlin, but none compare to Mustafa's. It's just a little stand and lines can get long, we arrived around 10:30am and there were just a few people ahead of us, so the earlier the better. I believe they are open until 2am so you could even stop by as soon as you get in! It's probably the best sandwich I've ever eaten, anywhere, as soon as you're done you'll be wishing for more!

1. Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap (restaurant)

Paul

First of all change the place you're staying, cause most hosts would let you in then too, as long as the now a set time!! 

Mustafas Gemüse Döner is good, true, though you can also try the other long line for Curry 36, people often get confused which line to stand in. Burgermeister has the best german burgers too! 

Definetly just go out at that time: Kulturbrauerei, Matrix Club, some deep sounds on the RAW Club... They go on quite late, and if your legs can still carry you just listen outside and follow the thumping. Last time I was walking to a park on sunday morning around 11 am and they were still partying! Do be careful with the drugs, they're used to strong stuff there. 

Actually the Hostels in berlin are great too, almost better than any airbnb... You can get a double room or even stay at a womens hostel. Hostelworld.com 

Have fun.

1. Mustafas Gemüse Döner (restaurant)
  2. Curry 36 (restaurant)
  3. Burgermeister (restaurant)
  4. Kulturbrauerei (attraction)
  5. Matrix Club (attraction)
  6. RAW Club (attraction)