Julie

Berlin

What specific area would you recommend?

I am coming to Germany next month, and am wondering what the best location for me to stay would be.
I am looking to see the city, but don't really have all that much in mind, just yet. The ideal place would give me a "feel" for the city and its
history and be close to the most important tourist attractions.
What specific area would you recommend?
Thanks,

Gary from Patzcuaro

My favorite part of Berlin is in Charlottenburg, around Savignyplatz (Berlin).  It's not touristic, but there are lots of lovely cafes, restaurants and beautiful, old buildings.  Also from there easy to take the S-Bahn Kundenzentrum or U-Bahnhof Senfelderplatz to other parts of the city.

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Charlottenburg (attraction)
  3. Savignyplatz (Berlin) (attraction)
  4. S-Bahn Kundenzentrum (attraction)
  5. U-Bahnhof Senfelderplatz (attraction)

Peter from Vienna

I would recommend Kreuzberg or Friedrichshain as they are very nice and contain a lot of the subculture one is looking for when visting Berlin. A lot of clubs are also located in this area or close to that. 

1. Kreuzberg (region)
  2. Friedrichshain (attraction)
  3. Berlin (city)

Klaudia from London

Well the best places to currently stay to give you a real feeling of Berlin is Friedrichshain, Kreuzberg and the more and more popular neukölln. Although I would say Kreuzberg will provide a walking distance to a tonne of sites and you are emerged in the eclectic, growing, Berlin. Filled with places to eat, drink and get lost in. The west of Berlin closer to Zoologishegarten is still worth visiting but little bit more touristy.

Andreas E.