Jenifer
Berlin

Berlin

Free things to do in Berlin?

In 3 weeks I am moving to Berlin (!!!) and will be starting my job search immediately when I arrive. Until I secure a job I will have to remain on a very tight budget, but I don't want that to keep from exploring the city. What are some great free or cheap things to do in and around Berlin? Any tips on getting discounted tickets to cultural shows and events? 

Giuseppe from Cagliari, Italy

Berlin it´s a great place, even if you don´t have too much money. This is my top 5 of free things to do:

1) Teufelsberg (an abandoned american spy agency in the middle of the forrest)

2) Mauerpark (the flea market)

3) Biking on the canals in Kreuzberg (especially Admiralbrücke is great)

4) Alternative Berlin walking tour (a guy brings you around berlin to show you street art. It´s free but you can leave a tip)

5) Treptower Park & Spreepark Berlin (beautiful park on the river with inside an abandoned DDR theme park)

1. Teufelsberg (attraction)
  2. Mauerpark (attraction)
  3. Kreuzberg (region)
  4. Treptower Park (attraction)
  5. Spreepark Berlin (attraction)

Sophie from Berlin

You're in luck because Berlin is a really inexpensive city, and even most of the typically touristy things to do are free! The East Side Gallery for example is free to walk along.

Additionally, the Holocaust Memorial( & the museum inside of it), the Bundestag(but sign up online beforehand to get in) and Museum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie are also free to see. 

For something a little more off the beaten path, there's a number of great parks like Mauerpark and the old airport Tempelhofer Field(the former which offers an amazing flea market on Sundays). If markets are what you're after, check out Neue Heimat too, something a little cooler and new with everything from the traditional flea market to street food, to art. Street art can also be found walking along the streets in Kreuzberg and Friedrichshain.

I can't let you go without talking about food really quick, since that's my specialty after all :). Great streetfood can be found at Markthalle NeunBite Club(near Arena Club and Badeschiff along the water) and the previously mentioned Neue Heimat. Other inexpensive food faves include: Mustafa's Gemüse KebapBurgermeisterMaroushTommis Burger JointCô Cô - Bánh mì deliRoamers and Nalu Diner.

Hope this helps and enjoy your stay in Berlin!

1. East Side Gallery (attraction)
  2. Holocaust Memorial (attraction)
  3. Bundestag (attraction)
  4. Museum Haus am Checkpoint Charlie (attraction)
  5. Mauerpark (attraction)
  6. Tempelhofer Field (attraction)
  7. Neue Heimat (attraction)
  8. Kreuzberg (region)
  9. Friedrichshain (attraction)
  10. Markthalle Neun (attraction)
  11. Bite Club (attraction)
  12. Mustafa's Gemüse Kebap (restaurant)
  13. Burgermeister (restaurant)
  14. Maroush (restaurant)
  15. Tommis Burger Joint (restaurant)
  16. Cô Cô - Bánh mì deli (restaurant)
  17. Roamers (restaurant)
  18. Nalu Diner (attraction)

Jacqui from London

Hi Jennifer, 

what a great move and how exciting for you! 

We travelled to Berlin on a budget last year and found plenty of things to do in this amazing city. I jotted them down here in this easy guide on my blog: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/berlin/ 

Enjoy your move! 

Jacqui 

Ben from London

Agree with Treptower ParkSpreepark BerlinTempelhof, and Bundestag but also check out Tempelhofer Field and if you fancy it, walk around Spreepark Berlin for a real eerie experience. 

Great unique Berlin places! Check out our blog we wrote on these places & more ;) http://www.everthoughtoftrying.com/berlin-culture/

1. Treptower Park (attraction)
  2. Spreepark Berlin (attraction)
  3. Tempelhof (attraction)
  4. Bundestag (attraction)
  5. Tempelhofer Field (attraction)

Mandy from Berlin

Take a free walking tour to "see Berlin like a Berliner": 
http://alternativeberlin.com/subculture-berlin-free-tour

Great insights into local culture, street art and history!

Jacqui from London

Moving to Berlin- Brilliant!  

This is a quick budget guide to Berlin that might help you get started.  

http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/berlin/  

Enjoy your time there!

1. Berlin (city)

Peter from Munich

For sure check out the Bundestag. You can go up to the glass dome and enjoy the view. The admission is free however you have to register up front here:

https://visite.bundestag.de/BAPWeb/pages/createBookingRequest.jsf

Also most of the historic sites are for free. Make sure you visit Tempelhofer Field. The left overs of an airport are now a public park and recreation area.

1. Bundestag (attraction)
  2. Tempelhofer Field (attraction)

Venise

I am not really sure about free activities in Berlin, But I am sure there are a lot of ways to save money during your trip abroad. There's this Berlin Hop On Hop Off Bus Tours that they call there, that can help you save huge amount of money instead of taking cabs there. Transportation is really your enemy there because it is really pricey, so you really need to be wise.

1. Berlin (city)

stephie from Berlin

Hang out in the parks!! There are so many great parks, many with small biergartens and always people playing music.  the first years I lived in Berlin and was very broke, I had tons of (cheap fun) grabbing some beers and exploring the parks and markets.  flea markets every sunday are great fun too!

Ben from London

If you can/dare, definitely try go to Spreepark Berlin just by Treptower Park.

For a real chilled day, I agree and check out Tempelhofer Feld

Check out our blog for more ideas on Berlin :)

http://www.everthoughtoftrying.com/blog/berlin-culture

1. Spreepark Berlin (attraction)
  2. Treptower Park (attraction)
  3. Tempelhofer Feld (attraction)

Samia from Bangladesh

WOW, I envy you....Berlin was not born to be a boring place at all!

I used to visit the Flee Market at Mauerpark... fun atmosphere and performances all around the place - great place to spend Sundays.

Been also inside the Bundestag, its fascinating....

There is also a Long Night of the Museums in last week of August - with a minimum price you can check out many museums from 2pm to 2 am! 

Enjoy life there... its such a cool city!

1. Mauerpark (attraction)
  2. Bundestag (attraction)