Melissa
Massachusetts

Melissa from Massachusetts asked

Where to go for a long weekend in March?

Hi all, 

I'm looking for some advice for a long romantic weekend in March to celebrate my husband's 30th. We live in Massachusetts and flying somewhere isn't in the budget, so I'm looking for suggestions. Is enough open on the Vineyard in March to make it worthwhile? We're also not skiers so while I love the idea of a romantic mountaintop resort, I don't want to pay elevated ski season prices either. 

I used to live in Manhattan so don't want to do New York, and we've spent tons of time in Portland and Newport, so  I'm looking for something new. (I'm also from CT so that's not exciting either.)

Thanks in in advance for any suggestions! Specific hotels or resorts are also welcome!

Berkshire County (Massachusetts)   Vermont (VT)   Niagara Falls (Canada)   Martha's Vineyard

Tamsen from Arlington (Massachusetts)

Hmm, have you been out to the Happy valley?!?! That's Amherst (Massachusetts) and Northampton (Massachusetts).  Lord Jeffery Inn is a beautiful inn on the common in AMherst with a great restaurant. If you're into hiking, lots of great trails around there and North hampton has great shopping and restaurants.

Melissa
Yup, we've been out to that part of the state a few times as well - that's why I was focusing more on the areas I put up in the question title. Thanks though!

Stephanie from New York City

What about New Hampshire? The Mount Washington Resort is a very famous hotel that would be a great place to cuddle up and celebrate. If you happen to be into maple syrup (and who isn't, really?) March is when they tap all the maple trees for it :)

1. New Hampshire (attraction)
  2. Mount Washington Resort (hotel)
Tamsen from Arlington (Massachusetts)

Have you thought about Portsmouth (New Hampshire), NH? It's an easy drive from MA, has great restaurants and shopping. A very pretty, romantic small city on the Piscataqua River. There also is The Music Hall for great concerts and entertainment. A short ride will bring you to the ocean in either Kittery (Maine), MA or Newcastle. For a splurge, we stay Wentworth by the Sea, A Marriott Hotel & Spa

Melissa
Thanks, but we've actually spent a lot of time in Portsmouth, so I'm looking for someplace different and new!