Angie
San Antonio

Berkeley

Nicer restaurants around UC Berkeley

I'm coming to Berkeley next month for my cousin's graduation and will be staying for a few days.  Plans are a little up in the air, but we have quite a bit of family coming in for it and maybe if we have some down time, I'd love to take some of them out for a nice meal.  

I know that college towns tend to be filled with pizza and burrito shacks, but are there any nicer sit down restaurants around where I can take my older relatives?  I'm thinking maybe something that accommodates about a party of 6 or so.  Open to all types of food.  We're not picky eaters! :D  Thanks!

Sunil from Mountain View

I don't know Berkeley super well, but I do know that my favorite Canjun restaurant that I've tried in California is there -- Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen!  Every time I know that I'll be in or around Berkeley, I try to make it a point to eat there.  They have hushpuppies, macaroni and cheese, gumbo, beignets, bread pudding, all that good stuff.  

The can accommodate a party of six, but anytime besides right after they open, you'd likely have to wait for about an hour.  It's worth the wait though.

1. Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen (restaurant)

Avery from Berkeley

If you really want to impress,  FIVE Restaurant is so good!  It's New American food and though a bit pricy, you get what you pay for.  Think around $10 appetizers, $30-$50 entrees and $10-$15 drinks, all delicious and all in a beautiful restaurant.  It's inside of a hotel that's right next to the Downtown Berkeley BART station, but it's so much more than just a hotel restaurant.  A coworker actually suggested this to me for when my in-laws were in town and they loved it.

1. FIVE Restaurant (restaurant)

Chiara from San Francisco

I live in Berkeley in the Gourmet Ghetto and there are many good restaurants. My favorites are:

Sliver Pizzeria: good pizza and less line compared to Cheese Board.

Comal really good fresh Mexican food. They change menu often and it is always delicious. There can be a long line.

Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen really good Southern food. Voodoo Shrimp my favorite

Trattoria La Siciliana a bit further away but really good Italian (I am Italian ;-)

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Sliver Pizzeria (restaurant)
  2. Comal (restaurant)
  3. Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen (restaurant)
  4. Trattoria La Siciliana (restaurant)