Angie
San Antonio

Angie from San Antonio asked

Nicer restaurants around UC Berkeley

I'm coming to Berkeley next month for my cousin's graduation and will be staying for a few days.  Plans are a little up in the air, but we have quite a bit of family coming in for it and maybe if we have some down time, I'd love to take some of them out for a nice meal.  

I know that college towns tend to be filled with pizza and burrito shacks, but are there any nicer sit down restaurants around where I can take my older relatives?  I'm thinking maybe something that accommodates about a party of 6 or so.  Open to all types of food.  We're not picky eaters! :D  Thanks!

Berkeley (California)

Sunil from Mountain View

I don't know Berkeley super well, but I do know that my favorite Canjun restaurant that I've tried in California is there -- Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen!  Every time I know that I'll be in or around Berkeley, I try to make it a point to eat there.  They have hushpuppies, macaroni and cheese, gumbo, beignets, bread pudding, all that good stuff.  

The can accommodate a party of six, but anytime besides right after they open, you'd likely have to wait for about an hour.  It's worth the wait though.

Angie
I love all those foods! Thanks for the suggestion!

Avery from Berkeley

If you really want to impress,  FIVE Restaurant is so good!  It's New American food and though a bit pricy, you get what you pay for.  Think around $10 appetizers, $30-$50 entrees and $10-$15 drinks, all delicious and all in a beautiful restaurant.  It's inside of a hotel that's right next to the Downtown Berkeley BART station, but it's so much more than just a hotel restaurant.  A coworker actually suggested this to me for when my in-laws were in town and they loved it.

Angie
Oh, that sounds amazing! That actually sounds like a great place to take my sister and my cousin for some a girl's night out. Thank you!

1. FIVE Restaurant (restaurant)
Chiara from San Francisco

I live in Berkeley in the Gourmet Ghetto and there are many good restaurants. My favorites are:

Sliver Pizzeria: good pizza and less line compared to Cheese Board.

Comal really good fresh Mexican food. They change menu often and it is always delicious. There can be a long line.

Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen really good Southern food. Voodoo Shrimp my favorite

Trattoria La Siciliana a bit further away but really good Italian (I am Italian ;-)

Visit my Travel Blog for more travel tips!

1. Sliver Pizzeria (restaurant)
  2. Comal (restaurant)
  3. Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen (restaurant)
  4. Trattoria La Siciliana (restaurant)