Lissa
Portland

Lissa from Portland asked

Five February days in Berkeley, what is there to do?

A mature gal friend and I are spending a long holiday weekend in Berkeley this year.  What should we see/do, where should we eat (beside Chez Panisse)?

Berkeley

Valerie from Los Angeles

I would hike at Redwood Regional Park over in Oakland. 

Walk the brand new San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge (or ride bikes!) The path starts in Emeryville right by the Ikea parking lot. There will be signs so you won't miss it. 

For lunch, my favorite spots are:  Bakesale BettyGordo TaqueriaTangerine Food Bar and Homeroom.

I really like ComalGather and Box and Bells for dinner. Trappist Provisions has really good for beer if you want a low key place to grab a drink. Head to Ici Ice Cream after for dessert. 

Explore the Berkeley Rose Garden and stroll through the Albany Bulb for really cool (free) art. 

Update: so sad to find out that Box and Bells is no longer :( Head over to Zachary's Chicago Pizza instead. It is THE best pizza in the Bay area. 

Lissa
Outstanding suggestions (and update), Valerie, thanks! Both of us are a bit wobbly, so the rose garden and art spot are most likely. We're taking your list (and map, if we can figure out how) and will try to make it to the dining venues you recommend!

Valerie
I think you'd like Telegraph Ave then! Can't believe I didn't mention that. You can walk down this street and find a ton of quirky shops and art. There are a lot of street vendors too with local, hand made goods. Have a great time!

1. Redwood Regional Park (attraction)
  2. San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge (attraction)
  3. Emeryville (city)
  4. Bakesale Betty (restaurant)
  5. Gordo Taqueria (restaurant)
  6. Tangerine Food Bar (restaurant)
  7. Homeroom (restaurant)
  8. Comal (restaurant)
  9. Gather (restaurant)
  10. Box and Bells (restaurant)
  11. Trappist Provisions (restaurant)
  12. Ici Ice Cream (attraction)
  13. Berkeley Rose Garden (attraction)
  14. Albany Bulb (attraction)
  15. Zachary's Chicago Pizza (restaurant)
Nikki from Berkeley

Cheeseboard pizza, Tilden regional park, Thai temple brunch in South Berkeley on Sunday morning (bring cash), walk around UC campus, check if there's a show at Berkeley Repertory Theater or Zellerbach Hall, La Note for brunch (only week days, or you'll have to wait in line for an hour), Ippuku for izakaya, drinks at Comal or Five in the Hotel Shattuck, Vik's for the best chaat, shop in Elmwood 

John from Carlsbad (California)

Have lunch at the cafe upstairs at Chez Panisse and dinner downstairs. 

Lissa
Thanks, John for answering - if you re-read my question, I've already tried CP.... Any other suggestions?

1. Chez Panisse (restaurant)
Jamie

One really great thing to do in Berkeley is spend a day at Golden Gate Fields! You can go on a dollar day where parking, entry, hot dogs & beer & soda are only $1! You can find out more here: https://youtu.be/QA1QVSHaNNg

John from Laguna Beach, California

Eat Cheese Board Bakery & Cheese, it's great pizza! There's great food everywhere though. I'm a student so enjoy some cheap options like Gypsy's trattoria Italiana (Italian) and La Burrita (Mexican). The fire trails are nice for hiking in. There is the Chabot Space & Science Center up in the hills as well as Tilden Regional Park, which is pretty big and fun.