Florian
Paris, France

Bergen, Norway

Local and original activities in/near Bergen?

I am planning to go to Bergen 4 days with my girlfriend and I am looking for fun/original activities and things to do...

Thanks for your suggestions.

Florian

Signe from Bergen

If you are lucky and get to Bergen on a sunny day there are a bunch of things you can do outside. If you want to do what the locals do then I recommend a hike to one of the peaks that surround the city. It is close to the city centre and you get to experience some of Norway's beautiful nature even though you are staying in the city.

If you are in okay shape it is quite easy to hike to the top of the mountains (they are about 4-600 metres tall). If you choose mount Fløyfjellet or Ulriken, the trails are easy to follow. 

You can also take the Fløyen train or the Ulriken cable car to the top, and hike from there. That way the hike won't be too tiring. You can get a map from tourist offices, and there are also signs when you get there. My favorite is Ulriken, because if you walk a little bit past the cable car station there aren't too many people and you get a feeling of being in the mountains even though you are close to the city.

If you do this you will hopefully get a fun and different vacation. I recommend you stop by a tourist office or the Bergen og Hordaland Turlag store. They will give you more information. 

If you don't want to be too active but still see nature, you can take ferries or tourist boats from the city centre to one of the fjords around Bergen. The tourist office will have more information about this. 

I especially recommend at least one of these activities if you are just staying in the cities. It's nice to see at least some of the nature and not only get the city feeling! Have a good trip:)

1. Bergen (city)
  2. Fløyfjellet (attraction)
  3. Ulriken (attraction)
  4. Bergen og Hordaland Turlag (attraction)

Janine from Seattle

Check out Dyvekes Vinkjeller. It's one of the oldest bars in Bergen, it's a candlelit underground wine cellar! 

1. Dyvekes Vinkjeller (restaurant)