Raminder
New Delhi

Bergen, Reine, Bodo

Flexible itinerary to explore Fjords and Lofoten islands

Hi guys

I am planning to visit Norway in late August with my wife (Planning to leave from New Delhi on 23rd August). This will be a completely flexible trip and the only places that I have in mind are Fjord Norway and Lofoten islands. I haven't yet decided number of days and it all depends on the budget because I am a bit tight on budget. My budget is 25000-30000 NOKs which excludes flight tickets to and fro Norway and India.
I can skip Lofoten islands on this trip but the only reason I want to add it is to see if we are lucky enough to witness Northern lights and of course Lofoten islands are spectacular as well.
Rough itinerary that I have created is as follows:
1. Leave New Delhi on 23rd August and reach Oslo on 24th.
2. Stay and have rest in the hotel on 24th in Oslo.
3. Board the train to Bergen on 25th.
4. Reach and stay in Bergen hotel on 25th.
5. Rent a car from Bergen and drive to Sognefjorde region (Bergen- Hoyanger- Sogndal- Laerdal-Borgund Stave Church) and stay at Laerdal or Aurlandsvangen.
6. On 26th, reach Flam and board the train to Myrdal and back. Start driving back to Bergen and reach Bergen. Stay in Bergen hotel on 26th night.
7. Local city sightseeing in Bergen on 27th.
8. Board the flight to Bodo on 28th and rent a car from there.
9. Visit Reine in Lofoten and drive around and explore.
10. Stay in Reine till 29th night.
11. Leave back to Bodo on 30th and board the flight to New Delhi via Oslo.

I would like to drive as much as possible but since renting a car and other related stuff is very expensive in Norway. I had planned to drive all the way to Bodo from Bergen and then continue to Lofoten but can't do that to avoid hefty one way charges. I would also like to extend this to couple more days because time is not an issue for me. The only issue is budget which I have posted above. I can also reduce it a bit to make it a bit more budget friendly. I'll book everything as soon as you guys help me with the itinerary :)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Matt from Allentown, Pennsylvania

I am jealous of your trip, but starting to plan my own to Norway for next summer. Please post details and photos if you can.

I don't know that it will get dark enough at night for you to view the northern lights in August. I was in Alaska in early July and it never really got dark. There was maybe 4 hours of darkishness from midnight to 4 am, but that's when we were sleeping. Being above the arctic circle in summer means more daylight hours, not less. Hope you get lucky though and get to see the aurora. Either way, if you get to the Lofoten you won't lack for beautiful sights.

1. Norway (attraction)
  2. Alaska (attraction)
  3. Lofoten (attraction)