Katie from Los Angeles asked

What's the best neighborhood in Bellingham for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Bellingham and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Bellingham is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Bellingham (Washington)

Kris

Bellingham has public transit but is best explored by car. The Hotel Bellwether Bellingham Marinaon the downtown waterfront would be my preference. The least expensive room is $164 per night, if you book more than 30 days in advance. I think that the price includes parking and some restaurant deals. Another option is the Fairhaven Fairhaven Village Inn area. This is the trendy historic area. Not my preference but it is very popular. Both of these areas have walking and biking trails along the waterfront and lots of local shops and restaurants. The downtown area has superior water views and parks in my opinion. Zuanich Park  Interurban Trail

Absolutely avoid the Samish Way hotels!  This area has 2 of my favorite low cost places to eat, Diego's and Boomers but the motels are hangouts for drug deals and prostitution. North Samish Way

The Guide Meridian - Interstate 5 and Bakerview - I-5 area is where most of the hotels are located. This is the Bellis Fair Mall  strip mall area and is safe and where you will find budget friendly options. Guide Meridian

The last Picture is the waterfront at the midway point between the Bellingham Marina and Fairhaven which is a lovely walk because of our beautiful trail system.

Hope this helps,

Kris (lifetime resident)

1. Bellingham Marina (attraction)
  2. Fairhaven Village Inn (hotel)
  3. Zuanich Park (attraction)
  4. Interurban Trail (attraction)
  5. North Samish Way (attraction)
  6. Guide Meridian (attraction)
Heidi
The waterfront is beautiful....but depends on your budget. There are many great hotels such as the new Holiday Inn & Suites Bellingham, an IHG Hotel at the airport that are only minutes from downtown and the waterfront. There are great bus routes and bike routes in Bellingham to get around with if you don't want to drive. The local microbrew pubs are plentiful and the folks are friendly! The Fairhaven neighborhood has great walking trails and is close to amazing hiking trails with stunning views and Larrabee State Park along Chuckanut Drive.