Ami
Manhattan Beach

Belize, Placencia

Belize in May- Ambergris Caye or Placencia

Heading to Belize in early May. Trying to decide between Placencia or Ambergris Caye. I'd like to do both but not sure we want to keep going back and forth to Belize City to get to the other area. Unfortunately we won't be able to scuba or possibly even snorkel since I'm pregnant, but would like to relax and maybe do a few light excursions. Both areas look beautiful. We'll prob leave from LAX for 5-6 days. Is this too short or too long for either area?

Ross from Fort Collins

5-6 days is a short amount of time. and both places take time to get to. you will be losing 2 of those days in travel, getting to and from destination. I would say Placencia is out, it's very nice but not as easy to get to as ambergris. These places are very different, if it was my preg wife I'd stick to ambergris as well. It might be the most expensive of anywhere I've been in Central America though (Tourists are afraid of foreign buga buga languages and will pay to avoid it.). I like Caye Caulker better but it doesn't have as much activities as Ambergris Caye. Also we took a sailboat trip to swim/snorkel with sharks, my wife is scared of sharks? So she stayed on the boat but had a great day on the water without swimming had lunch and drinks on a private island, was very nice. I love that that bun in the oven isn't holding you back! Have fun 

1. Caye Caulker (island)
  2. Ambergris Caye (attraction)

Ross from Sullivan (Missouri)

I've never been to Placencia, but I have been to Ambergris Caye. If you want to lay on the beach, Ambergris Caye would be good. The mainland has most of the excursions aside from scuba and snorkeling, so staying on the mainland would be much easier to access all of those. The plane ride to the Caye is 15 minutes and about $75. I would NOT recommend the boat ride, especially if you're pregnant! It's very bumpy.

1. Placencia (hotel)
  2. Ambergris Caye (attraction)

Ross from Fort Collins

I would add at least to days, I'm not gunna fly unless I go over a week, that's just m though. I love the water taxies, it's my favorite way to travel. But being prego I don't know ( really I don't know anything about babies). I would start in caulker and end in ambergris, caulker is a little bit more ruff and tumble but in a good way, then a nice place in ambergris to finish the trip in style!