Courtney
San Diego

Belize

Itinerary for seven days in Belize?

I'm headed to Belize in February with NO plans.
Looking to maximize seven days with some variety (cheap AND luxury suggestions, please) over some distance (want to get to as many places as possible without rushing)
I love photography, surfing, yoga, meeting the locals...

Can anyone take a shot at an ideal itinerary? 

I'd go straight out to the Cayo. You'll have all sorts of options for hiking, caving and visiting ruins - plus just hanging out by yourself. (Don't expect much surfing anywhere in Belize - the barrier reef keeps the big waves at bay.)

Anyway, out in the Cayo you can stay in San Ignacio when you want to be frugal, or head to a place like Gaia Riverlodge when you want to spend a little more and enjoy some serious solitude and quiet; the whole place is powered by its own hydroelectric dam, so you won't find in-room TVs or hairdryers. They also have mountain bikes for guests to use. 

Be sure to to the Actun Tunichil Muknal cave tour. It's the best thing about Belize.

I could seriously spend 7 days there easily, even though I also went to Hopkins (kind of meh in all respects) and San Pedro (great if you want to snorkel). The less said about Belize City, the better.

1. Cayo (city)
  2. San Ignacio (city)
  3. Gaia Riverlodge (hotel)
  4. Actun Tunichil Muknal (attraction)
  5. Hopkins (hotel)
  6. San Pedro (city)
  7. Belize City (city)