Jessica (China Barbie)
United States

Belize, Panama

Honeymoon Help! I'm torn between two places...Belize or Panama?

Please help! I'm torn between Thatch Caye Resort in Belize, and Bocas Del Toro in Panama for my honeymoon! Have any of you been to either place before? I am dying to have a beautiful tropical honeymoon, and stay in an overwater bungalow, and I'm trying to decide which place would be better! If any of you have ever been to either of these places, please let me know, and show pictures too please! Thank you SO much!!! <3

Ross from Fort Collins

Belize is one of the only countries I would not go back to! If you view my profile and answers you would not expect that from me but I travel on a budget and don't pay for the "vacation experience" if you have the cash to be whisked away and not have to get real with the locals you will be fine. But many of us on trippy have posted about Belize city being terrifying and I agree! I felt I had put a group I was leading in danger just trying to get to our water taxi.

on the other hand Bocas del Toro is out of this world! Fly into costa rica and take a Nature Air flight straight there or go nuts and fly into San Jose and travel to the not so traveled side of costa rica's Caribbean coast and finish in Bocas for the grand finally! Or just fly into panama and make it easy on yourself lol. If you need an itinerary let me know and have fun!

1. Belize (country)
  2. Bocas del Toro (state)

Linda

We've moved to Panama 10 years ago.  How safe anywhere is depends of the traveler's savvy.  Belize is much less developed.  We were there more than 10 years ago trying to decide where to retire and more cautious as didn't always feel safe.  Haven't been to BdT, but as long as you don't venture off the beaten path, should be safe.  It is one of the less developed areas in Panama.  For a true bungalow over the water Fuji is suppose to be great.  I don't think either Belize or Panama could hold a candle to Fiji.  Panama would have more to offer beyond BUT if your expectations of the experience turned out to be a dud.

1. Panama (country)
  2. Belize (country)

Chloe from London

Hi Jessica!

I travelled through Central America at the end of last year. Out of those two, I would definitely go with Panama! It was an amazing country. I enjoyed Belize - Caye Caulker etc and the snorkeling was amazing, but there was something really special about Panama. Plus there are loads of different places to go to! I write a blog and you can read more about the places I'd recommend below! Belize didn't feel as safe either to be honest! Good luck deciding :)

http://www.wanderlustchloe.com/

http://www.wanderlustchloe.com/2014/12/why-panama-should-be-on-your-holiday-radar.html

1. Panama (country)
  2. Belize (country)
  3. Caye Caulker (island)

Emily from Austin (Texas)

We vacationed at Hatchet Caye Resort and stayed one night at Belizean Nirvana in Belize a few months ago and had a great time. (So not at Thatch Caye). We had read up on Belize City and knew to get out of there as quickly as possible - which we did. That said, the airport there was just fine. Being on a Caye is a whole other world, so we felt like we didn't really experience Belizean culture as much. The water was beautiful; the snorkeling couldn't have been better. The people we met on the Caye and our one night on the mainland at Placencia were all fantastic. Happy Honeymooning! 

1. Hatchet Caye Resort (hotel)
  2. Belizean Nirvana (attraction)
  3. Placencia (hotel)

Josh from Cambridge (Massachusetts)

Hi Jessica, 

I haven't been to Belize but I hear it's absolutely incredible (especially if you're into diving). I've been to Panama, but keep in mind... Bocas del Toro is a hardcore partying spot. May not be the most ideal for a relaxing honeymoon (if that's what you're looking for). There are the Kuna Yala (San Blas Islands) off the coast of Panama - absolute paradise but very little infrastructure (you're sleeping in a thatched hut with a bed on the sand type deal). 

All in all, from what I've heard of Belize, I would steer in that direction when it comes to a honey-moon. 

1. Bocas del Toro (state)
  2. Kuna Yala (city)