Nick
Cleveland

Belize, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Cancun

Cancun, then Central America. Suggestions?

I am traveling solo on a budget starting Feb 10. Starting in Cancun, then Belize, then on south through Central America.  Any suggestions on where to go / avoid here? Never been to Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, or El Salvador...  Thanks yall!

Ross from Fort Collins

I've said it before but I love the Tulum area. The ruins are amazing, there are cenotes near by, and your close enough to Playa del Carmen to shop and party without having to stay in the hustle and bustle. There are a wide range of accommodations from $10-$1000 and some all Inclusive options also.

With a couple of weeks you could tour the whole Rivera Maya! Start in Cancun and spend three nights in multiple locations. Or if you want to take it to the next level, you can do what I did on my two week trip. we flew into cancun and backpacked from there through Belize and Guatemala to Tikal National Park! After Tikal we hit the reef islands of Belize and took boat rides back to cancun for our flight out! let me know what you pick and I can help with itinerary.

http://wanderingross.com/

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)
  3. Rivera Maya (hotel)
  4. Cancun (city)
  5. Belize (country)
  6. Guatemala (country)
  7. Tikal National Park (attraction)

The caving in the Cayo District of Belize is amazing. And it's just plain nice there. So pleasant and cool. Even at that time of year, you're gonna get hot and sweaty in places like Dangriga ... and that's coming from an Arizona guy! Belmopan and Belize City are underwhelming.

1. Cayo (city)
  2. Dangriga (city)
  3. Belmopan (city)
  4. Belize City (city)

Jeffrey from Los Angeles

Caye Caulker is a great laid back island that is cheaper then Ambergris Caye, Belize and I think nicer.  Orange Walk was a neat little town and not expensive.  You can go see Lamanai from there.  We also stayed at a all inclusive just south of Hopkins and regretted staying there but the area was really nice for hikes one to a large sink hole to repel and one to a nice pond overlooking the ocean.  The town seemed simple and nice.  Agree with Justin Belize Citynot great at all.  

Also the island of Utila is cool, inexpensive and nice.  Mainly people are there to scuba dive.  But did see a bunch of snorkelers around also. 

1. Caye Caulker (island)
  2. Ambergris Caye, Belize (attraction)
  3. Orange Walk (state)
  4. Lamanai (attraction)
  5. Hopkins (hotel)
  6. Belize City (city)
  7. Utila (attraction)