Jeff

Belize

5 days Belize

I have 5 days in Belize. Where should I go first and how many days for each place? I don't like ruins or tubing or zipline, but into birding, hiking, snorkeling. Definitely want to see ATM and the snorkel spots.

Tonya Russ from Charlotte

I would spend the bulk of my time in San Pedro So plan your trip when you want to see ATM, flying in or flying out. I wouldn't even spend the night.  The only reason I would spend the night if you want to see The Great Blue Hole and ATM. Then puddle jump to San Pedro. Belize City is geared towards cruise ships, it's the kind of place where you go to your resort and stay there. San Pedro is a little town, you can rent a bicycle to get around and the restaurants are delicious, it's the best food I've had in a tourist town.

Ecuadorian Ceviche Wild Mangos Breakfast of fry jacks Estel's Dine By the Sea lobster burrito Waruguma roast chicken, rice, beans El Fogon Restaurant

If you are a coffee snob, there is no good coffee in restaurants and in San Pedro there is one wine shop and it is super expensive, so if you like to drink wine, buy some in duty free when you land.  Duty Free seems expensive too, but it's good to have a couple of bottles. Otherwise just plan on drinking Belikin beer.

Make sure you bring bug spray and keep it with you. NO JOKE. 

One thing someone told me to do was hire someone to take us fishing, if you are going with a friend or more, it's fun to go fishing, then take it to a restaurant for dinner.  Red Snapper just jump in the boat in Belize. It's bonkers.

1. San Pedro (city)
  2. The Great Blue Hole (attraction)
  3. Wild Mangos (restaurant)
  4. Estel's Dine By the Sea (restaurant)
  5. Waruguma (restaurant)
  6. El Fogon Restaurant (restaurant)

Tammy from Saint Petersburg (Florida)

I always stay in San Pedro when visiting Belize. The Sunbreeze Hotel is right on the water. It has a pool , AC, dive shop, restaurant/ bar on premises and it right behind the airport. Literally when you get off the plane you cross the street into the back of the hotel! 

Bicycling or walking is the way to get around. They offer golf cart rentals too.  

Lots of food choices but if you really want to get a taste of local food and heritage go to the Garifuna Soul Food Restaurant

It’s off the beaten path and you’ll need to take a cab. It isn’t much too look at but it has culture. The food is delicious (I had the red snapper special).  

Belize city is a port stop for cruises. Most things to do there take awhile to reach ie Zoo, tubing etc. The downtown shopping area isn’t the best place and when hiring a taxi sure to communicate clearly on price as not to find out there where extra charges added after the fact. I learned the hard way.  

Belize is Unbelizeable! 

Enjoy your trip!

1. San Pedro (city)
  2. Belize (country)
  3. Sunbreeze Hotel (hotel)
  4. Garifuna Soul Food Restaurant (hotel)