Justin
Phoenix

Justin from Phoenix asked

Three Days in Belgium- Brussels or Bruges?

Hey, Trippy friends - I could use your help. I have about three days to spend in Belgium, and I'm trying to decide between Brussels and Bruges.

So, who wants to make a pitch to convince me which one is better?

Things to know: I'm traveling with my wife and my 9-month-old daughter (her first trip abroad!). We like Belgian beers. We are willing to walk a lot. I will also eat everything and anything in sight.

OK, let's hear it!

Belgium   Brussels (Belgium)   Bruges (Belgium)

Bogdan

Hi Justin,

I'm living in Brussels for 4 years now. My suggestion for you is the following:

1st day Bruges - for it's canals and classic beauty
2nd day Brussels - for it's beers, chocolate and spirit
3rd day Antwerp - for a cosmopolitan experience

Enjoy,
Bogdan

1. Bruges (city)
  2. Brussels (city)
  3. Antwerp (city)

I agree with Andrés.  Do both. I've had more time in Bruges during certain celebrations, but for a normal visit, one day really is enough to walk the city, perhaps take a boat ride through the canal, and explore all the main historic places and eat some delicious food.

Brussels can be equally enjoyed in one day or two. If you want to explore museums, then take two. If you want to walk, explore, eat, and take lots of amazing photos, you can actually see all the main high points in the main city center near the Grand Place, eat phenomenal food, taste chocolates and "pomme frites" with mayo in just a day. See the Manneken Pis in 5 minutes and if you think he's amazing, see his collection of clothing in the Maison du Roi right in the Grand Place.

If you want to see Brussels in a day and squeeze in one more beautiful place, go see Ghent, even for an afternoon on your way from Bruge to Brussels of visa versa. It's right in the middle and is arguably prettier than Bruge and more popular with locals. Even if it's just a lunch and a small walk, don't miss Ghent.

1. Bruges (city)
  2. Brussels (city)
  3. Grand Place (attraction)
  4. Manneken Pis (attraction)
  5. Maison du Roi (attraction)
  6. Ghent (city)
Andrés from Montevideo

I believe that 3 days is enough for both.

You can go from Brussels to Bruges in an hour or less.
One day (complete) is enough for Brudges. I´ve done it.

It´s a beautiful Fairy-like city, but it´s not big.

The remaining 2 days you can dedicate them to Brussels. I´ve never been in Brussels, but I´ve being doing some research because I´m also planning to go. 

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Bruges (city)
Elly from Zoerle-Parwijs, Antwerpen, Belgium

Brussels.  Bruges is really small, doable in 1 day. Stay in Brussels, take the train to Bruges and come back. Hotels in Bruges are more expensive.

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Bruges (city)
Inês from Brussels

Hiii!

So, I'm living in Brussels for one year now, and it's a lovely city. But if you're traveling with your wife and daughter, I would recommend you to go to Bruges. You'll find it much more "roots", the city is beautiful, more quiet, but still with lots of things to do, beer, and great food! And you can easily get to Brussels in one hour trip (by train) and spend an afternoon there to see the famous bar Delirium Cafe (mandatory if you love beer), Manneken Pis and Jeanneke-Pis (the lovely boy and girl statues, peeing :D) and for instance, visit thousands of chocolate stores :P (WITH FREE SAMPLES!)

I hope I helped you, and I hope you'll have a great time in Belgium, either in Brussels or Bruges!!!

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Bruges (city)
  3. Delirium Cafe (restaurant)
  4. Manneken Pis (attraction)
  5. Jeanneke-Pis (attraction)
Arnaud

I would advise 2 days in Brussels and one day in Bruges. It's enough to see the essential

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Bruges (city)