Emily
Ann Arbor

Belgium, Antwerp, Ghent, Brussels

Best chocolatiers in Belgium?

Where can I get the best chocolate in Belgium?  Any tours would be a bonus as well.  I'm going to be driving from Amsterdam to France (still figuring out where in France), so anywhere along the way, such Antwerp, Ghent, or Brussels would be great!

Jenna from Oakville, Ontario

I have only had a short layover/chocolate pit-stop in Brussels South Charleroi Airport but I would definitely have to recommend checking out a woman named Doreen who blogs all about the world famous chocolates -- mainly in Belgium. 

http://giveforgranted.com/2014/06/featured-doreen-pendgracs-book-review-chocolatour/

1. Brussels South Charleroi Airport (attraction)

Anke from Belgium

Hi Emily, if you go for a discovery and willing to taste special chocolate (with chili, wasabi,...) , i would highly recommend Chocolat Line NV set in a beautiful palace! Absolutely delicious! 

Pierre Marcolini is also very good quality, set in Brussels and Antwerp. 

Neuhaus is a chocolate chain with a variety of stores but also very high quality , perfect as a gift to take home. 

1. Chocolat Line NV (restaurant)
  2. Pierre Marcolini (attraction)
  3. Neuhaus (attraction)

I really love the Neuhaus Chocolatier, but if you go to the Grand Place, you'll see all the most well-known chocolatiers with little shops along the edges. It's a good place to start. Go into each one and try a few pieces to see which you like the best.

Champagne truffles are my favorite.

A couple chocolate factories just outside the city (Rue des Chardons and Le Chocolatier Manon ) do offer tours, but I think only for large groups.

1. Neuhaus Chocolatier (restaurant)
  2. Grand Place (attraction)
  3. Rue des Chardons (attraction)
  4. Le Chocolatier Manon (restaurant)

Gery from Brussels

Chocolate making is a long tradition is Belgium. "Pralines" is the name we give to very refined little chocolate sweets, made out of finest chocolate cream, almonds, chess nuts, liquors, orange and raisins, spices, honey, coffee, tea, fudge and all kind of delicious treats.
There are several renowned chocolatiers with beautiful (and tempting) displays in downtown Brussels (see other answers), as Godiva, Leonidas, Neuhaus, Daskalides, Marcolini, Corné, Galler... but plenty smaller pastry artisans sell very tasty hand made chocolates too.
All of them compete to offer you the finest and tastiest chocolates ever. Some brands are very popular among the broad public, while some other are out of price. The packaging is an art in itself (as it is for perfumes). Usually, the smallest in size have the most intense flavor. Let them melt as long as you can in your mouth, to make this unique pleasure last!
One of my favorite is Marcolini, who has been very creative in the last 15 years, reinventing the art of the "Praline". You can experience there all the nuances between cocoa beans from the whole world.
Do not hesitate to ask for an advice before buying. Chocolate tasting is like drinking wine: you have so much variety!

Ségolène from London

My favourite is Pierre Marcolini, the main shop is in Place du Grand Sablon. Also, in a more sweet chocolate category, try some Chokotoff.

1. Place du Grand Sablon (attraction)

Alexander from Antwerp, Belgium

Hey, check out the chocolatier "Goossens Chocolatier bvba" in Antwerp. Very good quality, Obama's office orders chocolates from there now and then.

1. Goossens Chocolatier bvba (restaurant)

Geert from Antwerp

also drop by the prince of chocolats Dominique person at The Chocolate Line. He has a shop in Antwerp and Bruges. The one is Antwerp is in an old "genuine" palace and in the back you can see how they make pralines. He has special creations like chocolat shooter (to shoot chocolat powder up your noise , he made that specially for the rolling stones ;) ) ,choclat lipstick etc...

you find him paleis op de meir 50, 2000 antwerp

his website is in english as well

http://www.thechocolateline.be/

when you pass by Antwerp you have to get some chocolats DelRey Appelmansstraat 5, 2018 Antwerp

Best chocolats in the world, they also have a tearoom next to the shop

1. The Chocolate Line (attraction)
  2. DelRey (restaurant)

Maxime

Easy, you stop in Brussels and you go to Zavel area or Galerie de la Reine: all the good ones are represented: Godiva, Neuhaus, Mary, Leonidas, Marcolini, ...

1. Brussels (city)
  2. Zavel (neighborhood)
  3. Galerie de la Reine (attraction)

Dabs from Chicago

I tried a lot of different kinds of chocolates in Belgium and France, the high end ones didn't really suit me and I tend to always go back to two-Neuhaus and Jeff de Bruges which I think actually doesn't have Belgian locations, I found them in Paris and in Nancy and Metz

Danny from Brooklyn

Dumon Chocolatier in Brugge!!

1. Dumon Chocolatier (restaurant)

Philippe from Pepingen

Hi Emily, we Belgians take our chocolate and our beer very seriously... ;-)

I would suggest you come to Brussels and discover our very best chocolate made by top chocolatier Pierre Marcolini.

You can find a Pierre Marcolini in several parts of town but I do suggest you visit the one at the Sablon Antiques Market on a Sunday so you can have both chocolate and antiques... ;-)

Hope this helps and enjoy Belgium/Brussels !

1. Pierre Marcolini (attraction)
  2. Sablon Antiques Market (attraction)

Quirine

Pierre Marcolini is the best for a special chocolate as a gift but to have a good affordable chocolate just buy Cote d 'Or at local supermarkets, delicious!

1. Pierre Marcolini (attraction)

Joni from Antwerp

If you're passing through Belgium and you have to pick one city to visit: choose Antwerp! Go shopping at Meir and Nationalestraat, the ModeMuseum is really great to visit, taste some hot chocolat Quetzal (a real chocolate bar), drink cocktails at Sals Café and go to Cuichine to have a healthy and wonderful meal. To buy chocolate for your friends at home, go to Günther Watté. You won't regret coming to this vibrant city of ours!

1. Meir (attraction)
  2. Nationalestraat (attraction)
  3. ModeMuseum (attraction)
  4. Quetzal (attraction)
  5. Sals Café (restaurant)
  6. Cuichine (restaurant)
  7. Günther Watté (restaurant)

Jonathan from Sint-Agatha-Rode

1. Passion Chocolat (restaurant)
  2. Brussels (city)

Charles

I think Planète Chocolat is one of the best Chocolatiers in Brussels. It is more familiar than the others and they offer great activities like a demonstration or workshop for guests. Nevertheless, -the best thing- they have an online-shop and deliver worldwide!!! - that means the whole year delicious belgian chocolate!!!