Shireen
Hong Kong

Shireen from Hong Kong asked

Where are the best and interesting markets in Beijing?

I'm going to be spending two weeks in Beijing and want to dive into local culture. Where are the best markets in Beijing? Doesn't matter what kind (food, shopping, flea) just interested in hearing suggestions! 

Beijing (China)

Gina from Beijing

In addition to Karl's answers, I would like to recommend two more places to go: Nan Luo Gu Xiang for its interesting mixture of traditional Beijing Hutong building and interesting snacks as well as creative China-flavor crafts;

(2) Xiushui Street  for it has been a classic shopping spot for fake lux products and a place to practice your bargaining skills.

I am a member of Airbnb, so if you are also looking for a place to stay in Beijing, please also check out:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4130983

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/3355202

Thanks

Gina

1. Nan Luo Gu Xiang (attraction)
  2. Xiushui Street (attraction)
Karl from Ho Chi Minh City

After the Olympics they really cleaned up a lot of the "local" markets and sanatized them for tourists. Though they are still fun and interesting. My groups usually enjoy Dong Hua Men Da Jie night market and the nearby Wang Fu Jing Xiao Chi Jie snack street. The Panjiayuan Flea Market is very cool. I enjoy heading to Gui Street Xiaoyushan (ghost street) it's not a market but it is very lively at night and packed with locals and restaurants. The 798 Art Zone 798 Theatre, a converted munitions complex that has been remade into art galleries is pretty interesting as well.