David

Beijing

Running in Beijing?

I will have about 30 hours in Beijing in late May and find that the best way to see a city in a short time period is to go for a run.  How "runnable" of a city is Beijing?  I'm looking for something 6-8 miles (10-13 KM) in length.  I'll be staying near SLT.  Thanks!

Robert Glenn from Manhattan Beach

If you want to "see" Beijing, walk around and wear a mask. I would not run in the world's worst air pollution. Chinese doctors now claim living in Beijing shortens your life by 5-8yrs.

Yangzi from China

I don't know the what's the SLT means? However ,I think I can recommend a brillant "Walking Plan"which is“Walk along the central axis of Beijing.” First, you need buy a map of Beijing with Subway line diagram.

1. take the Line 2 to Guloudajie at 6:00 or 7:00 in the morning, then walk along with the Gulou,then you can see the “Morning exercise”,this is a special sports culture in China, you can join them if you like.

2、Next you go to the south to the Zhong Guo Qiang Hu Tong,and keep walking to the Street, in this period, you will walk in the  “Hutong”(the name of Beijing alley),then waliking to SHICHAHAI

3. Shichahai is the convergence of the modern culture and Music Bar. you will find lots of Chinese food here .

4. walk around the Shichahai you will arrive at the Lotus Market

5. Walk south to Jingshan Park Backstreet, then turn right to the Jingshan Park west gate , buy a ticket with ¥2, get inside. and climb to the peak of WANCHUNTING, you can see the panoramic view of the Forbidden City 

6. Go out from the main gate of Jingshan Park, Across the road is the north gate of the Forbidden City.

7. if want to visit the Imperial Place ,visit it. if you don't want to ,just go to the west along with the moat, and you will see the Haidian and other Historic Buildings, then go to the south and you'll find the west gate of the Imperial Palace. Keep walking about 30mins you will find the main gate of the Imperial Palace.now you return to the axis of Beijing.and you will see the Tiananmen Square.

8. walk along with the axis,find the underpass you can leave the Square, and arrive at Qian Men Da Jie. the center of traditional culture in Beijing, and also is the best place for the souvenir. Also you can enjoy the dinner here. 

when you finished the journey,it's time to go back!

1. Guloudajie (attraction)
  2. Zhong Guo Qiang Hu Tong (attraction)
  3. Shichahai (attraction)
  4. Jingshan Park (attraction)
  5. Forbidden City (attraction)
  6. Haidian (attraction)
  7. Tiananmen (attraction)
  8. Qian Men Da Jie (attraction)