Elissa

Beijing

Is this a realistic 7 day itinerary for Beijing?

Hi there,

4 of us (although 2 will be departing on day 3) are going to Beijing for a week. We arrive on the Saturday but we haven't planned anything for that day as we are getting there at probably 4 - 6 p.m. (on a train). This is our current plan:

Day 1

Tiananmen Square, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Wangfujing

Day 2

Great Wall

Day 3

798 Art Zone, museums

Day 4

Ming Tombs, Summer Palace, Dingling (underground palace)

Day 5

Universities (Tsinghua, Peking), Old Summer Palace (Yuanming Yuan)

Day 6

Houhai (Lake), House of Soong Ching Ling, Prince Gong Mansion, Beijing Book Building

Day 7

Olympic Park, television tower

Is this pretty realistic or could we fit in more/less? We were hoping to add as many of the following in, too:

Zoo (maybe)

Lama Temple

Mao's Mausoleum

Drum Tower

Basically we want to see as much as possible . . . ! So any recommendations/re-ordering would be extremely welcome!

Claudia from New York City
Hi Elissa,
I would omit Temple of Heaven on the first day but combine Temple of Heaven with Summer Palace on another day tour. You can add Mausoleum of Mao Zedong when you visit Tiananmen Square as it's located at the square.
On day 4, I suggest visiting Ming Tombs including Dingling (Underground Palace). Only 3 of the 13 Ming Tombs are open to the public - Dingling, Changling, and Zhaoling.

1. Temple of Heaven (attraction)
  2. Summer Palace (attraction)
  3. Mausoleum of Mao Zedong (attraction)
  4. Tiananmen Square (attraction)
  5. Ming Tombs (point of interest)

Laura from Buenos Aires
Hi Elissa, I think 7 days is perfect. I went to beijing and shanghai in that time.
The plan for your first day is a little tight but you can go to some of thoses places on the other days. The forbbidden city is really large amd it takes at least two hours and the Summer Palace even more!
For the great wall I recomend you go to Mutianyu, for me its better than Badaling.
I recomend you also Quianmen St. And Beijing Fun near Tianmen Square, Galaxy Soho by Zaha Hadid, the Pearl and teh Silk Markets, and Sanlitum. And dont forget to get lost in he hutongs, they are incredible and very safe.