Shireen
Hong Kong

Beijing

Beijing in two days?

During a work trip in February, I'll have just two free days in Beijing, so what are the true "musts" that you would recommend?  My favourite things to do in China so far have been to visit temples and experience local food and culture, but I am open to anything else, too!

Esther from Tel Aviv

Everyone has their own favorite place but if I had only two days, I'd spend one in the  Forbidden City and split the second between the Hutong area and  Tiananmen Square - those three areas give you a feel about what China was and what it is today and also an opportunity to talk to the locals.

1. Forbidden City (attraction)
  2. Hutong (attraction)
  3. Tiananmen Square (attraction)

Caroline from Guilin

Hi, Shireen! First, Have you even been to Great Wall Of China, which is one of the must see attraction in Beijing, even in China? If you have not been there yet, it is really a good attraction. And there are several sections of the Great Wall. Though Badaling Great Wall is the most famous, it is also the most crowded one. The are full of people on Badaling Great, especially Chinese domestic tourists,which you see is not the great wall, but the people... LOL~  Now in Beijing, the Mutianyu Great Wall, the wild Badaling Great Wall, Jinshanling Great Wall, JiankouJiankou Great Wall, may be better choice. Some is very suitable for hiking, which you could check online. The Great Wall tour usually takes one day. And when you get back it is the afternoon, you can find a place to have delicious meals. 

Secondly, Hutong is really a good place to see the really Beijing people's life. However, you should choose a section of Hutong. Some of the Hutongs are art, while some maybe boring.You could ask you friends to take you to the interesting Hutong. There are also declicious snacks and good restaurants in Hutong, which is cheaper, quiter, and better taste than outside. the Hutong tour may takes half a day. 

Thirdly, If you are interested in Temples, you can go to  The Summer Palace, Yonghegong Lama Temple, Tantuo Temple, Jie Tai Temple.... 

1. Great Wall Of China (city)
  2. Mutianyu Great Wall (attraction)
  3. Jinshanling Great Wall (attraction)
  4. Jiankou Great Wall (attraction)
  5. Hutong (attraction)
  6. The Summer Palace (attraction)
  7. Yonghegong Lama Temple (attraction)
  8. Tantuo Temple (attraction)
  9. Jie Tai Temple (attraction)

Jinny from Los Angeles

Hi Shireen, 

Check out my post on My Weekend in Beijing. My friends and I were there for 2 nights and 3 full days. 

My recommendation on the "musts" are:

1. Great Wall Of China, but there are different sections of the Great Wall. I went to the Mutianyu, which has a nice cable car up the wall and there's one path that breaks off from all the tourists. It's super bushy and full of dead shrubs, but if you don't mind pushing through all of that, you'll end up getting to an area that's all to yourself. This should take up at least half the day. Go early in the morning with a tour group, they'll provide lunch and transportation (you don't actually have to explore with them). 

2. Forbidden City This is full of tourists, but shouldn't be missed if you're in Beijing. 

3. 798 Middle 1st St. This is such a cool area in Beijing. It totally reminds me of what the 70s would've been like in San Fran. Very artsy and has tons of cool art/souvenir shops and restaurants. 

4. Tiananmen and Mausoleum of Mao Zedong. They're across the street from each other. Be careful though, DON'T bring a bag, security at the Mausoleum is worse than US airport security.. 

5. Summer Palace. This is just a one big temple with many small temples, parks and a huge lake inside of it. Really pretty, but full of tourists. 

These should keep you pretty occupied for the two days that you're there. If you're feeling adventurous, try some deep fried scorpion while you're there ;)

www.travelholicsdiary.com

1. Mutianyu (region)
  2. 798 Middle 1st St (attraction)
  3. Tiananmen (neighborhood)
  4. Mausoleum of Mao Zedong (attraction)
  5. Summer Palace (attraction)
  6. Forbidden City (attraction)
  7. Great Wall Of China (city)

Meghan from South Korea

Temple of Heaven early in the morning to watch the old folks practice Tai Chi and dancing was the best.  Also head over to the Pearl Market down the street afterwards.

1. Temple of Heaven (attraction)
  2. Pearl Market (attraction)

Christa from Chicago

I agree with Esther those are two good places to go in a short time.  I'd imagine it would still be pretty cold in February but if you haven't been, going to the Great Wall is another thought.  Figured I'd also try some Peking Duck while I was there and went  Da Dong Roast Duck with a couple local co-workers.  If you are looking for gifts for family/friends should check out the Silk Street Market 8 Xiushui E St, Chaoyang, Beijing, China.

1. Da Dong Roast Duck (restaurant)
  2. Silk Street Market (attraction)

Duyen from Hội An

When you are in Beijing, don't miss Beijing 798 Art Zone, Qianmen Main Street Mall, Nanluoguxiang, Tian'anmen Square , The Forbidden CityWangfujing Shopping Street, ....

You can view my itinerary for a suggestion. It includes needed info about the hotels, attraction and transportation.

Hanzhou is also a great place to travel. Take a view on my itinerary at here.