Camille

Beijing

Attractions in Beijing that are off the beaten path?

What are some fun and unique things to do in Beijing that tourists don't usually flock to?  I've toured Beijing once and we went to a bunch of big attractions, so I'd like to see some smaller, lesser known ones this time!

Richelle from Ningbo

I'm not sure what you've seen and haven't seen, so I'll just give you a list of some cool places you might want to check out. Firstly, if you like to hike, I'd suggest checking out the Jinshan Ridge Great Wall portion of the great wall. It hasn't been restored, so the wall is crumbling and looks more natural. It was really empty when I went with my friends, which was great for us! Also the The High Place, 798 Art District is awesome! Come for the whole day and wander around looking at the art, graffiti and architecture. It's a photographer's dream, and there's tons of cute cafes. If you have already seen the Forbidden City and Summer palace, you can check out the Temple of Heaven, which is one of my favorite spots in Beijing. Get there early to see old people singing and dancing, while toting around their grand babies. 

1. Jinshan Ridge Great Wall (attraction)
  2. The High Place, 798 Art District (restaurant)
  3. Temple of Heaven (attraction)

Joe from Wuhan, China

A few hours hiking from Jinshan Ridge Great Wall to Simitai portion of the Great Wall is off the beaten path but offering the best interacitve experience with this ancient monument. 

2. Simitai (attraction)

Lita from Los Angeles

Check out Baigongfang which is basically a giant arts workshop/museum/art gallery. If you're into Chinese crafts, folk art, etc., you'll love this place. 

1. Baigongfang (attraction)

Ava
Hi Camile,
Maybe you can do some explorations as following:
Hiking the Great Wall—Witnessing the Longest Cultural Heritage in the World
Visiting the Forbidden City—Experiencing the Largest and Most Luxurious Palace in the World
Exploring the Temple of Heaven—Discovering the Beliefs of Chinese Emperors
Enjoying the Summer Palace—Hanging Out at the Traditional Chinese Imperial Garden
Visiting Tian’anmen Square—Watching the Inspiring Flag-Raising Ceremony