Joshua
Charlotte

Beautiful low cost place with great Internet?

I'm looking to fly out to a variety of destinations over the next two months to determine if there is somewhere more suitable to my heart and mind than where I grew up (NC). Looking for some recommendations that fit these criteria:

- Low cost of living but decent living standards.

- Beautiful scenery (preferably with beaches or mountains).

- Temperate weather.

- Plenty of activity.

- Friendly people.

- Enough English speaking populace to get by until I learn the native language.

- Outside continental U.S. preferred, but not required.

- High speed Internet (web developer, so this is a must).

If I can find the right place, I might just move there for a while. Since I'm on a tight budget, this exploration will most likely be for day trips unless I can find someone to couch surf with.

For those wondering how I can fly around on a tight budget...I fly free for the next 2 months thanks to a family member that works for the airlines, but that won't be for much longer, so I need to plan fast. :)

Kara from Boston

I would highly recommend Ecuador. If you are looking more for the mountain experience and an urban environment, then Quito or nearby Cumbaya are both very affordable areas with the conveniences of the modernization of the capital city. Internet connections are reliable in both places. If you want a little more of a laid back atmosphere than Quito, Cuenca (Ecuador)is another beautiful (very old) city in the mountains. If you are more interested in living along the coast, Manta is a great, affordable option that isn't quite as crazy as Guayaquil, the main port city in Ecuador. 

1. Ecuador (country)
  2. Quito (city)
  3. Cumbaya (attraction)
  4. Cuenca (Ecuador) (city)
  5. Manta (city)
  6. Guayaquil (city)

Gonçalo from Lisbon

What's cheap for you? In Portugal you can live very well, with great food, awesome internet (up to 100Gb in normal houses), access to culture, sports, beach and mountains, good weather, for around 1000 dolars a month.. Is that cheap enough? For Europe and beachside, I'm sure it is :)

Search for Lisbon and Porto, and I'm sure you'll fall in love for this places. Also Algarve if you prefer a beach, golf and relax lifestyle.

1. Lisbon (city)
  2. Porto (city)
  3. Algarve (attraction)

Sandeep from Indore, India

I second Vietnam, though I would recommend the Da Nang/Hoi An area. HCMC is not too temperate. I guess it also depends on what airline you have access to.

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Da Nang (city)
  3. Hoi An (city)

Jeff from Tahoe City

Given your criteria, I'm gonna offer my destination of choice... I'm a designer/developer and am planing on moving down to Mexico with my dog for the summer...Quintana Roo is beautiful. The dollar is strong right now and in general, living expenses are low. Amazing beaches. Rich Mayan culture. Lots of critters. Fantastic food! Playa del Carmen is one of the fastest growing cities in the world. Lots of foreigners from all over, mostly Canada. The Riviera Maya coast line has one of the largest reefs in the world if you like water sports (spearfishing, snorkeling, scuba diving). Cenotes. Pyramids. Ceviche. 

I have been to Tulum, Akumal and Playa Del Carmen a few times in the past year and never had any problems with internet reliability. Belize is a few hours drive away. Cancun has a major airport that is fairly easy to get to and you can fly just about anywhere in the world from there including Cuba.

1. Quintana Roo (city)
  2. Playa del Carmen (city)
  3. Riviera Maya (city)
  4. Tulum (city)
  5. Akumal (attraction)
  6. Belize (country)

Doug from Angelika Film Center & Cafe

Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.  Very low cost and developer community. Easy flight to Thailand and other parts of Asia. Checkout http://www.worksaigon.com/#about

Cape Town, South Africa. Amazing mountains, beaches, sharks, dolphins, seals etc. English is spoken everywhere, great Internet and lots of good Airbnb options.

1. Ho Chi Minh City (city)
  2. Cape Town (attraction)

Daniel

Suggesting Romania, it's apparently no. 1 in the world when it comes to internet connections, all bars, cafes and restaurants have free amazing internet connections. Local 100-200mb internet connection costs around usd 10.

Enjoy your trip!

1. Romania (country)

Don from Austin (Texas)

Thailand has everything that you are seeking. Wifi is much more abundant than in the USA and faster even in the smallest bars and restaurants. Very low cost of living even in Bangkok. Phuket is also low except for the area around Pa Tong

1. Thailand (country)
  3. Phuket (city)
  4. Pa Tong (neighborhood)

Lojze

If you want to live in Europe, than my suggestion is Slovenia. Coastal cities are small and except for summer not very crowded with tourists. Other cities are also an option, particularry if you want to be close to sea and close to mountains for, maybe, winter skiing. The capital of Slovenia, Ljubljana, is one hour drive to sea and half an hour drive to ski resort. Even closer, if you like both, than in Whistler or Sochi

1. Slovenia (country)
  2. Ljubljana (city)
  3. Sochi (city)

I second Vietnam, though I would recommend the Danang/Hoi An area.  HCMC is not too temperate.  I guess it also depends on what airline you have access to.  

Nam from Bangkok

Apart from BangkokChiang Mai, Pai in Thailand and Bali in Indonesia.

There is a blog which can tell you more, over 60 destinations around the world.

http://www.webworktravel.com/workation-guides/

2. Chiang Mai (attraction)
  3. Pai (city)
  4. Bali (island)

Art

Spokane: 76 lakes within 50 miles. Four universities in the city and low cost of living. Beautiful parks, great schools, 4 seasons and low humidity. 

Let me know if you need more info.

1. Spokane (city)

Krista from San Francisco

Hey Josh,

This sounds like an amazing opportunity! Lucky you. :)

How about Bali? I've been reading articles about it becoming a haven for technical folks looking to re-charge while getting some work done, not to mention actually start a tech company!

Louis from Los Angeles

I would suggest Vietnam, more specifically Ho Chi Minh City.  Very low cost to live and do fun activities.  Also it's more developed then you might imagine so getting a high speed internet connection should not be too dificult.  It's a visually beautiful place, but more importantly a beautiful culture with tons of friendly people.  Of course it will take some time to adjust but once you do you will find it to be a joyful and serene place to live and work.  All the best on your journey!

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Ho Chi Minh City (city)

Matt from Cebu

HI Joshua,

I think Cebu City is the perfect place that fits your criteria.

1. Cebu City (city)