Samantha
Pasadena, California

Beach vacation time! Where would you go?

My boyfriend and I are planning our vacation in June. We are contemplating Hawaii because I've never been. But with hotel prices and airfare from Los Angeles, I feel that there are better alternatives.

The vacation has to be 7-10 days, with minimal jet lag time. I would like a beach for relaxation and some fun activities with not so many kids.

Where would you go?

Kandace from Forest Grove, Oregon

Hawaii is pretty fun, but you're looking at a 3-hour time difference, which is the same as the Caribbean. Given that, if an int'l location is acceptable, I'd suggest Cayman Islands instead. I went there as a child and loved it - the people are fantastic, the sights are gorgeous, and it's a lot calmer (IMO) than Hawaii.

1. Hawaii (state)
  2. Cayman Islands (country)

Sue from Daytona Beach

I know you mentioned minimal jet lag but the South Pacific has some beautiful areas to visit. LAX to Pape'ete is an 8 hour flight and would take a shorter time to get to that the Caribbean (with layovers and such). Once in Papeete, you could hop to many different islands. The people are so welcoming and lots of beaches. Try looking at Moorea or Tikehaufor more reasonable costs.

Hawaii is an amazing place, too and living on the West Coast we are spoiled by having it basically at our doorstep. It can be done inexpensively but there will be compromises. Maui is my favorite but Hawaii (The big Island) has me wanting to go back soon. There are some deals to be had there as they seem to be trying to draw people back to them.

I highly recommend talking to a travel agent as we have our eyes on the specials and who has recently renovated and trying to draw folks to them with great deals. But then I am biased as I am one. ;-)

1. Pape'ete (city)
  2. Moorea (island)
  3. Tikehau (city)
  4. Maui (island)
  5. Hawaii (state)

Siesta Beach #1  

Volleyball, white sand. Gorgeous weather. Lots of vacation places.

1. Siesta Beach (attraction)

Cleon from Thessaloníki

While Hawaii is amazing, it can be pricey, as you have seen. Here are two suggestions:

ArubaWhy? Perfect for couples; great beaches; direct/relatively short flights; cheap deals on hotels and flights.

Dominican RepublicWhy? You'll experience a whole different culture; many locations to choose from (it's a big island - Punta Cana is the most popular, but I personally prefer the serenity and romantic nature of Samana); lots to explore, since you're going for 7-10 days - you can rent a car and tackle more than one location on the island.

1. Aruba (country)
  2. Dominican Republic (country)

Tim from Chicago

Samantha I'd do the trip to Hawaii given where you live. It's easy to reach with no stops, which you will have many other places. It's beautiful, weather is perfect, and you can be as active or remote as you choose- or both! Because you've never been, it should be on your bucket list. You can read about all the different islands... I like them all, but tend to favor the The Big Island

1. Hawaii (state)
  2. The Big Island (island)

Fritzi from San Francisco

I have read that the "sugar coast" on Alabama and Biloxi, MI are both great beach destinations,  but I do not know them personally.

My favorite beach destination is Laguna Beach, CA.  This city has more beaches for its size than any other city in CA.  There is a hypnotic quality to the wave action, and many small cove beaches that are secluded and charming.  There is volleyball on Main Beach, and the town is quintessentially old California.  I really love it there, and could think of nothing better than to spend a week in its circa 1950s CA time warp.

Hoang from Phú Xuyên, Ha Noi, Vietnam

Vietnam beaches are very beautiful and famous too. You can choose some beaches in Nha Trang, or Mui Ne or Phu Quoc island. I do believe that you would love there. Phu Quoc island seems to be very suitable with your order.

If you need anymore help, you can contact me.

1. Vietnam (country)
  2. Nha Trang (city)
  3. Mui Ne (city)
  4. Phu Quoc (city)

Sheryl

Check out Club Med.  They have mostly beach locations and you can choose a child free adventure.  Many fun activities and the price is all inclusive once you get there except for the booze.

Another company is Sandals but I don't have any first hand info on that company.

Barbara from Tampa

Sanibel Island in Florida. 

Lots of options in lodging from big resorts to condo/home rentals. 

Shelling is amazing!

1. Sanibel (city)

Jim

From California have you tried Cannon Beach, OR? Your trip could continue north to beaches on the south coast of Washington. Drawbacks: could be cool.

Pluses: probably won't need much sunscreen. But it is a beautiful area.

1. Cannon Beach (city)

Will from On The Road

If you wind up on any of the major Hawaiian islands I recommend going off the beaten track. There are some great beaches away from the tourist areas that are absolutely worth exploring.

Beyond that, and not so far away from LA, you might want to consider the surrounds of Playa del Carmen, Taylor Bay, or Tofino - all for very different reasons.

I hope you have a great trip!

1. Playa del Carmen (city)
  2. Taylor Bay (attraction)
  3. Tofino (city)

Spencer from Los Angeles

I LOVE Hawaii, especially the island of Maui, which I feel is the all-in-one island. However, it can be expensive. If hotels are out of your range, then there a number of great vacation rentals. For flights, you may consider looking at flying out of somewhere like Burbank or Carlsbad, which can save some moolah. 

If thinking about the Caribbean, note that it's the beginning of hurricane season. I, however, love going to the Caribbean during that time because hotels/flights are typically a bit cheaper. It's a slower season because of it being hurricane season + it's nicer in Canada/USA. I had a really nice June trip to Turks and Caicos, as well as Belize, and it did for pretty cheap. If you're going the hotel route, you may consider booking a hotel/flight together to save you some money. 

1. Maui (island)
  2. Turks and Caicos (country)
  3. Belize (country)

Kylee from Iwakuni, Japan

I lived in Hawaii for three years and it is so worth the trip! Kaua'i is my favorite with some beautiful beaches. If you go to O'ahu stay clear of Waikiki most of the time (too touristy). Kailua and the North Shore Oahu Hawaii are way better.

1. Kaua'i (island)
  2. O'ahu (island)
  3. Waikiki (neighborhood)
  4. Kailua (city)
  5. North Shore Oahu Hawaii (attraction)

Eduardo from Mexicali, Baja California

Hawaii is amazing, it sounds like such a cliche'd place to go ok vacation, but once you see how beautiful the mountains, volcanos, beaches, etc are, you immediately get why it's a well fundamental cliche. I've only been in Waikiki, and its a little busy, but there are lots of other beaches and calmer spots to go to

1. Hawaii (state)
  2. Waikiki (neighborhood)

Erin from Brooklyn

I vote Tulum or Costa Rica!

1. Tulum (city)
  2. Costa Rica (country)

I second Puerto Escondido. Great beach with a young vibe and not a family place full of screaming children in resort hotels.

Really cool place for young people who like a bohemian vibe.

1. Puerto Escondido (city)

Harley from Comanche

I would go to Miami Beach or a beach in Hawaii

1. Miami Beach (attraction)
  2. Hawaii (state)

Hawaii is amazing, it is a little more expensive than a Caribbean beach vacation but it is well worth the money. There is also much to do for kids.

For cheaper maybe check out the Dominican Republic or Curacao? Dominican is usually quite cheap with lots of all inclusive deals. Curacao is less "known", but I had friend who went and loved it.

1. Hawaii (state)
  2. Dominican Republic (country)
  3. Curacao (country)

My Mexican friends love Puerto Escondido in the province of Oaxaca. Oaxaca is a wonderful inland town to explore as well, but the beaches are gorgeous and not as touristy as some of the resort towns.

1. Puerto Escondido (city)
  2. Oaxaca (city)

Michelle from Melbourne

I think your best alternative is probably somewhere in Mexico? Cabo San Lucas would definitely have resorts that don't really cater to kids.

1. Cabo San Lucas (city)

Peter from Vienna

I always wanted to visit Santa Marta, but from Europe, it is damn far away. Los Angeles is not that far, so this is maybe an option for you? Sounds like a good place for a beach holiday to me. 

1. Santa Marta (city)
  2. Los Angeles (city)

Quirine

CuracaoNetherlandsAntilles

End of August first weekend September they have the North Sea Jazz festival and you are able to combine beach with music! Terrific relaxed atmosphere and very good organised! 

Lots of places to stay as well as Air BNB apartments . Highly recommended!

1. Curacao (country)
  2. Netherlands (country)
  3. Antilles (attraction)

1. Siesta Key (city)
  2. Chicago (city)
  3. South Haven (city)
  4. Atlantic City (city)
  5. Biloxi (city)
  6. Dauphin Island (city)

Matt from Scottsdale

Bora Bora Bora Bora. It's so beautiful that I'd go twice!!! ;-)

1. Bora Bora (island)